This Pea Salad with Sweet Potatoes is a healthy, kid-friendly recipe the whole family will love for dinner. Covered in hummus and mixed with bacon and cheese, what’s not to love about this side dish?
Today we’re talking pea salad because it’s time for another roundup with my bloggy pals! I can’t believe it’s been 3 months since we shared our 6 Healthy Brunch Recipes roundup! Over the past couple of years we’ve share tons of great recipes including:
6 Healthy Ways To Eat:
- Cranberries (Cranberry Clementine Salsa)
- Sweet Potatoes (Sweet Potato Protein Bars)
- Apples (Caramel Apple Bread)
- Pumpkin (Pumpkin Yogurt Dip)
- Zucchini (Grilled Zucchini Rollups)
- Almond Flour (Small Batch Chocolate Chip Cookies)
- Black Beans (Mexican Layer Dip)
- Citrus (Small Batch Raspberry Lemon Bars)
- Brunch (Cinnamon Raisin Bagels)
This month we’re back to focusing on a specific ingredient: green peas! I always have a bag or two of peas in my freezer and I actually think they are kind of an underrated veggie. They’ve got their fair share of protein, are easy to cook and have a sweet taste. Most days, Squish will even eat them straight from the bowl with a spoon! So hopefully after seeing these recipes you’ll give them a fair shot if you haven’t already.
Although Squish will often eat them plain, there are days when we won’t touch them. So I made this recipe with him in mind. To be honest, I didn’t even know that pea salad was a thing until a couple weeks ago….but after looking at several recipes trying to get some inspiration, I basically just started with peas, threw in a bunch of other things he likes (bacon, cheese, sweet potatoes) and covered it all in hummus (his favorite)!
This salad would be a great side dish to bring to a summer cookout. You can eat it cold or room temperature and it comes together pretty quickly!
Here’s how you make it:
Like I mentioned, I sauteed my sweet potatoes but I’ve since made it again with leftover roasted sweet potatoes and loved it. To cook the sweet potatoes faster, toss them in a little oil and microwave them for 1-2 minutes before you add them to the pan.
And now it’s time to check out some more delicious ways to enjoy peas:
So much deliciousness for you guys to check out:
This pasta salad would be perfect for a summer cookout!
Pasta Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
Julia @ The Roasted Root
This looks like the perfect dinner side dish!
Kale Power Salad
Sarah @ Making Thyme For Health
Veggies in one minute brownies? Pure genius.
Healthy Secret Ingredient One Minute Brownie
Arman @ The Big Man’s World
Peas on pizza? Yes puhleez!
Snap Pea & Goat Cheese Naan Pizza
Kylie @ Imma Eat That
Light and fresh lasagna, perfect for summer!
Easy Vegan Lasagna
Alexis @ Hummusapien
Pea Salad with Sweet Potatoes
This Pea Salad with Sweet Potatoes is a healthy, kid-friendly recipe the whole family will love for dinner. Covered in hummus and mixed with bacon and cheese, what's not to love about this side dish?
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup cheese cubes
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1/3 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 Tbsp water
- Cook peas according to package directions and let cool.
- Meanwhile, saute bacon, onion and sweet potato in a skillet until sweet potatoes reach desired level of doneness. Let cool.
- Combine peas, sweet potato mixture and cheese cubes in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl add water to hummus and mix well to thin it out.
- Spoon over pea mixture and stir until well coated.