This Mexican Layer Dip is easy to make and full of flavor! With layers of spicy black bean dip, homemade guacamole and fresh corn salsa it’s the perfect party appetizer or snack!
Today we’re doing something super fun! First of all, I have a delicious new recipe for you. If I were to judge the success of a recipe by how many times hubby requests it, this one would be a grand slam. I think he’s asked for it at least 4 times since I made it!
Secondly, this recipe is part of a healthy black bean roundup! I teamed up with a few of my favorite blog friends to celebrate our love for healthy foods and give you guys some creative inspiration about how to use some of our favorite ingredients. We’ll be bringing you these roundups every couple months and each roundup will have a different ingredient theme. For our first one, we picked black beans!
We’ve got pretty much all meals covered from breakfast to dessert!
But first, back to this dip!
I started out thinking this would be a more traditional 7 Layer Dip…then I got lazy and decided it was just easier to combine some of the layers. So, I mixed the bean, sour cream (except I used yogurt) and cheese layers into one, made some fresh guac and then topped it off with some fresh corn salsa. The second time I made it I also topped it off with some of my favorite storebought tomato salsa and it was delicious!
Are you drooling yet?! Here’s the recipe:
Mexican Layer Dip
This Mexican Layer Dip is easy to make and full of flavor! With layers of spicy black bean dip, homemade guacamole and fresh corn salsa it's the perfect party appetizer or snack!
- -For the bean dip layer-
- 1 can black beans (no salt added)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- -For the guacamole-
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- 1 large avocado
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- -For the corn salsa-
- 3/4 cup diced red pepper
- 3/4 cup corn
- 3/4 cup tomato
- 1/2 cup onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- Tomato salsa for topping, optional
- To make the bean dip, place the black beans in the bowl and smash using a fork or potato masher. Mix in yogurt, cheese and spices.
- To make the guacamole, smash avocado in a bowl and stir in onion, tomato, jalapeno, lime juice and cilantro.
- To make salsa, combine peppers, corn, tomato, onion and cilantro.
- On a large plate, spread black bean dip across the bottom. Spread guacamole on top of the bean dip. Top with corn salsa. Top with tomato salsa if desired.
- Serve with chips!
Pretty, isn’t it?!
And now, the fun part. Check out these drool-worthy recipes my friends came up with using black beans!! I can’t decide which to make first!
Are you as excited about these as I am? If so, please PIN the collage to share with friends!!
Now, here’s a close-up of all the goodies. Go check them out!!