As you guys know, I’m not a huge protein powder fan. I don’t drink protein shakes and I only eat protein bars on occasion. However, I know that a lot of people swear by it. So, this year I decided to whip up some homemade protein bars to give as Christmas present to some friends at the gym!
I had several taste testers for the first batch and they got the seal of approval from everyone…so I decided they were worth sharing with you guys!
Here’s how you make them:
- 1 cup oat flour (i just ground up oats in my food processor until I have enough to fill 1 cup)
- 1 cup vanilla protein powder (2 heaping scoops)
- 1 cup Rice chex cereal
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1-2 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp chocolate chips, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, protein powder, cereal and chia seeds.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter, milk and honey.
- Microwave for 30 seconds, stir and microwave 15-30 sec more.
- Add liquid mixture into dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp water if necessary to make sure all dry ingredients are moistened. (Mixture will be crumbly).
- Use parchment paper to press the mixture into an 8x8 pan (I use a 9x9 and just leave about an inch empty on one side).
- Freeze for 20 minute.
- Cut into bars (I cut mine into 8 bars).
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
- Melt chocolate and spread or drizzle over the bars.
You could use other cereals like Rice Krispies instead of the Chex.
Use your favorite nut butter if you don't like peanut butter.
That’s all there is to it!
Feel free to customize to your liking:
- Sub your favorite nut butter for the pb.
- Try Rice Krispies or another crunchy cereal instead of Chex.
- Eat them plain or just drizzle with chocolate instead of covering the whole top.
- Use unflavored protein powder instead of vanilla, but you may need to increase the honey and decrease the milk.
Hope you like them! Be sure to store them in the fridge- or the freezer if you like them a little colder!