I used to hate this soup.
My mom made it all the time when we were growing up. I remember the smell of it, and watching her set up the blender right next to the stove so she could puree batches at a time. Some always spilled!
Now I love it. It’s hearty and spicy and I can never eat a whole bowl at once, but it’s a great dinner side or appetizer.
Curried Sweet Potato Soup
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Keywords: stovetop blender soup/stew healthy vegetarian sweet potato fall winter
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 leeks
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 Qt veggie broth
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Plain yogurt and cilantro to garnish (optional)
1) In stock pot melt butter, add leeks, ginger and celery. Cook til wilted.
2) Add sweet potatoes, curry and veggie broth.
3) Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.
4) Puree the soup in batches in blender. Or use an immersion blender. Add cayenne pepper and garnishes if desired.
Let’s talk about leeks for a minute. They are big and funny looking and you shouldn’t be intimidated by them. They have a mild onion taste. To use them: cut off almost the entire green top part and the weird hairy ends. Cut them in half lengthwise, then rinse thoroughly…fan through the layers where dirt and sand can collect to make sure they get clean.)