This Salmon Corn Chowder is a light, simple soup that’s packed with vegetables. Enjoy it for lunch or dinner even on a hot summer day.
Time for another recipe refresher! This Salmon Corn Chowder was literally one of the very first recipes I published on my blog when I started it almost 4 years ago. That was way back before I knew the importance of post titles and I thought I was being so clever titling it “Doing The Chowder Cha Cha”. Yeah…kinda embarrassing 🙂
Anyways, I love making this recipe in the summer and when I noticed yesterday that I just so happened to have some salmon thawing in the fridge, plus lots of corn, I knew we were due for another batch.
This recipe is the perfect way to use up all your favorite summer produce! I tend to use zucchini, carrots, peppers, celery, potatoes and corn but feel free to use whatever you have on hand!
Here’s the recipe:Print
Salmon Corn Chowder
A light chowder that’s perfect for all your summer vegetables
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6
- 4 cups mixed vegetables (peppers, potatoes, carrots, zucchini, celery, etc)
- 1 cup corn kernals
- 1 pound salmon, cooked and flaked
- 1 quart broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- fresh black pepper
- In a large Dutch oven, saute the vegetable (except the corn and zucchini if you’re using it) for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until veggies reach desired tenderness.
- Stir in milk, salmon, corn & zucchini and heat through.
- Add seasonings, taste and adjust accordingly.
So simple, right?
Typically I used white potatoes, but sweet potato was all I had on hand this time.
I use skim milk for this recipe, but if you want it to be more chowder-like, try 2% or whole. You can also add a little less broth and more milk to play with the ratio until you’re satisfied.
I don’t put a ton of Old Bay in the large pot since it’s pretty high in sodium, but I do love to add a little sprinkle to each bowl as it’s served for more flavor!