These Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas are made with just 4 ingredients. They’re so easy to make and taste way better than store-bought! Perfect for healthy lunches and dinners.
**Posted July 2013. New photos October 2015.**
Today I want to teach you guys how to make a Homemade Whole Wheat Tortilla! Whole-grain tortillas have been on my to-make list for quite a while now. If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I’m semi-obsessed with tortillas because they’re perfect for pretty much any meal. Throw some scrambled eggs and cheese inside for a breakfast quesadilla, add peanut butter and sliced bananas for a snack or turn them into tacos for lunch or dinner.
Whole Wheat Tortilla Video
If you’re a visual learner, what this quick video to learn just how easy it is to make a whole wheat wrap for your next meal!
And even though I do my best to buy brands that are 100% whole wheat and low in sodium, it’s rare that I can find a brand with an ingredient list that satisfies me. Tortillas seem like a pretty simple thing to make right?
Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe
Well if you look at the ingredient list on many store-bought brands, you’ll likely see something like this:
Lots of unnecessary stuff. I always thought it would be pretty easy to make them at home but I had never gotten around to trying.
Until now. And guess what? They are SUPER easy to make and only require 4 ingredients! Win!Print
Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas
With only 4 ingredients, these tortillas do away with the store brand mystery ingredient list. Roll them up and enjoy with breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 c warm water
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oil and salt.
- Slowly add the warm water while stirring until a rough dough comes together. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Turn the dough onto the counter and knead for about two minutes.
- Return to bowl and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a circle (you want them to be pretty thin)
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and grease lightly.
- Drop one dough circle into the pan and let cook until bubbles form- about 1 minute.
- Flip over and cook another minute, pressing down with a spatula if needed. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Use immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze.
Super easy. I used white whole wheat flour, but this should work with all-purpose flour as well.
If your tortillas come out a little too hard, you probably rolled them too thin. Next time, leave the dough a little thicker when you roll them out. I store mine in a ziploc bag in the fridge.
Let’s chat: Do you make your own tortillas? Flour or corn?
If you’re a corn tortilla person check out my Homemade Corn Tortillas recipe here.
I love making these tortillas as part of my weekly food prep sessions. If you liked this post, you’ll love my ebook – The Ultimate Guide To Food Prep. It dives into even more detail about how to food prep, troubleshoots common problems and provides tons of tips to make it easier!
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!