These Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas are made with just 4 ingredients. They’re so easy to make and taste way better than store-bought! Perfect for healthy lunches and dinners.
**Posted July 2013. New photos October 2015.**
Today I want to teach you guys how to make a Homemade Whole Wheat Tortilla! Whole-grain tortillas have been on my to-make list for quite a while now. If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I’m semi-obsessed with tortillas because they’re perfect for pretty much any meal. Throw some scrambled eggs and cheese inside for a breakfast quesadilla, add peanut butter and sliced bananas for a snack or turn them into tacos for lunch or dinner.
Whole Wheat Tortilla Video
If you’re a visual learner, what this quick video to learn just how easy it is to make a whole wheat wrap for your next meal!
And even though I do my best to buy brands that are 100% whole wheat and low in sodium, it’s rare that I can find a brand with an ingredient list that satisfies me. Tortillas seem like a pretty simple thing to make right?
Whole Wheat Tortilla Recipe
Well if you look at the ingredient list on many store-bought brands, you’ll likely see something like this:
Lots of unnecessary stuff. I always thought it would be pretty easy to make them at home but I had never gotten around to trying.
Until now. And guess what? They are SUPER easy to make and only require 4 ingredients! Win!Print
Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas
With only 4 ingredients, these tortillas do away with the store brand mystery ingredient list. Roll them up and enjoy with breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 c warm water
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oil and salt.
- Slowly add the warm water while stirring until a rough dough comes together. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Turn the dough onto the counter and knead for about two minutes.
- Return to bowl and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a circle (you want them to be pretty thin)
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and grease lightly.
- Drop one dough circle into the pan and let cook until bubbles form- about 1 minute.
- Flip over and cook another minute, pressing down with a spatula if needed. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Use immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze.
Super easy. I used white whole wheat flour, but this should work with all-purpose flour as well.
If your tortillas come out a little too hard, you probably rolled them too thin. Next time, leave the dough a little thicker when you roll them out. I store mine in a ziploc bag in the fridge.
Let’s chat: Do you make your own tortillas? Flour or corn?
If you’re a corn tortilla person check out my Homemade Corn Tortillas recipe here.
I love making these tortillas as part of my weekly food prep sessions. If you liked this post, you’ll love my ebook – The Ultimate Guide To Food Prep. It dives into even more detail about how to food prep, troubleshoots common problems and provides tons of tips to make it easier!