This Breakfast Enchilada Casserole is the perfect brunch dish for when you have company. Prep it the night before and pop it in the oven in the morning.
*This post was originally published 1/2014. Photos and post updated 11/2017*
Almost 4 years ago I first shared this Breakfast Enchilada casserole with you guys after making it with my mom over Christmas break when they were living in NYC. I still vividly remember standing in their kitchen prepping with her on Christmas Eve and then popping it in the oven while we opened presents on Christmas morning. It worked out perfectly as a holiday dish because all we had to do the morning off was pour the sauce on, add the foil and stick it in the oven. And then by the time we were done opening presents, it was hot, bubbly and ready to eat!
Although this casserole is big, hearty and perfect for a special occasion, there’s also nothing that says you can’t make it for your average weekend brunch, or even just make it on a regular Sunday and enjoy reheating pieces of it throughout the week!
It’s hard to make breakfast casserole look appealing, but I did my best. Just trust me when I say it’s delicious. Packed with potatoes, eggs and chicken sausage, it’ll keep you full and focused all morning long!
If you’re not a meat eater, you could easily sub black beans for the chicken sausage or even try it with scrambled tofu instead of eggs.
Here’s how you make it!
Breakfast Enchilada Casserole
This Breakfast Enchilada Casserole is perfect for brunch when company is in town. Prep it the night before and bake in the morning!
- 1.5 cups salsa verde (store bought or homemade)
- 1/2 cup milk, half and half or cream
- 1 cup red potatoes, diced fairly small
- 3 - 4 chicken sausages, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 4-oz. can diced green chiles, drained (optional)
- 6 large eggs
- 5 whole wheat tortillas (i use the 8 inch size)
- 1/2 c shredded Mexican cheese (divided)
- 10 oz can enchilada sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine salsa verde with milk and set aside.
- Saute peppers and onions over medium heat until softened.
- Meanwhile, put potatoes in a microwave-safe bowl, drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine. Microwave 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Add potatoes, sausage and chilis to onion mixture.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk to combine. Pour into pan with onion mixture and scramble.
- Pour a little enchilada sauce into a 9x13 pan and tilt to coat the bottom.
- Spoon egg mixture into tortillas, roll and place seam side down in the pan.
- Pour salsa verde mixture over tortillas.
- Top with enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 min or until heated through.
You can prep this casserole ahead of time if desired. Put full tortillas in the pan and refrigerate. Just prior to cooking, pour salsa verde mixture and enchilada sauce over top, add cheese and bake as directed!
This is the perfect breakfast for when you have company in town, especially since you can make it ahead of time! I’ve served an extra spicy version to my CrossFit friends after a weekend workout and also served a more mild version to my kiddos.
You can easily make it as spicy or mild as you want by adjusting the spice levels of the enchilada sauce and salsa verde. I’ve also made this with red salsa, which works just fine, and both homemade and storebought salsa verde.
Have company coming? Prep these Breakfast Echiladas ahead of time for an easy morning meal!Click To Tweet