This recipe for Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Protein Bars makes a healthy post-workout or afternoon snack! They can easily be made paleo and are grain-free.
Meet my new favorite protein bar. I’ve made these 3 times in the past 2 weeks so I’d definitely call them a winner. They’re actually a spin on my Sweet Potato Banana Bites, one of my most popular recipes. I changed things up a bit and made them into bars and added a few extra ingredients, including some protein powder to give hubby another post-workout snack option.
I’ve made them with both chocolate and vanilla protein powder, and with peanut butter and almond butter. Peanut butter and chocolate protein powder is by far my favorite combo….but all are delicious.
The chocolate topping is optional and doesn’t do much but make them look pretty 🙂 You could also mix in some chocolate chips. These aren’t your typical protein bars. They have no flour or oats so they’re kinda chewy but more almost spongy. I made them with yogurt but if you wanted to make them paleo-friendly you could try coconut milk or coconut yogurt.
Here’s how you make them.
These are super easy and they taste great. I stored mine in the fridge but they’d probably be fine on the counter for a few days, I would just leave them loosely covered, not tightly sealed.
Now, in case you adore sweet potatoes as much as I do, it’s time to share a few more recipes. It’s recipe group day and you definitely need to check out these 5 other delicious sweet potato recipes from my bloggy buddies!
Sarah took my love for loaded sweet potatoes to the next level:
Black Bean Chipotle Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Julia may have just created my new fav breakfast:
Sweet Potato Home Fries
Arman made the perfect snack for Squish and me:
Flourless Sweet Potato Muffins
Kylie made the newest addition to my Thanksgiving menu:
Crispy Scalloped Sweet Potato Stacks with Maple Vanilla Bacon
Alexis added to my dinner menu for next week:
Vegan Sweet Potato & Black Bean Enchiladas
Sweet Potato Protein Bars + 6 Healthy Ways To Eat Sweet Potatoes
Gluten-free, grain-free protein bars that make the perfect post-workout snack.
- 1 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato (approx 2 medium)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup nut butter
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt (I used whole milk)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
- Optional: chocolate chips to melt and drizzle.
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. (For a completely smooth batter you could use a blender but I just mash everything with a fork.)
- Add baking powder and protein powder and stir until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 9x9 baking pan (line the bottom with parchment paper for easy removal).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 13-15 minutes.
- Let cool, slice into 8 bars and drizzle with chocolate if desired.