Made with simple ingredients, this Potato Soup is nutritious, flavorful and perfect for busy weeks!
I realize that some of you may be approaching the end of soup weather, but it’s been raining here for pretty much 5 days straight and to me, rain = soup weather. Plus, I happily eat soup year round, but that’s a whole other thing.
Anyways, I wanted to pop in and share this Potato Soup recipe with you guys because I’ve made it several times over the past few weeks.
When I first made this soup, I intended to just make it with white potatoes, but I didn’t have enough of them so I had to throw in a sweet potato. It ended up turning out well so I keep making it like that, but you could use all white potatoes or all sweet potatoes if you wanted to!
Here’s how you make it:Print
This potato soup is made with two kinds of potatoes and makes a great, nutritious option for lunch or dinner!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1 orange or red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and chopped (I use 2 russet, 1 sweet potato)
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1.5 cups milk (I use skim)
- 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- In a large dutch oven or pot, saute bacon, peppers, onions and potatoes for 5-7 minutes over medium heat.
- Add broth and milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer until potatoes are tender (15-20 minutes).
- Use an immersion blender (or regular blender) to puree. Feel free to leave some chunks if you’d like.
- Add cheese and spices and stir until melted.
You could easily make it vegetarian by omitting the bacon, but I think it adds great flavor!
[Tweet “Enjoy this simple Potato Soup from @leangrnbeanblog for a quick lunch or dinner!”]
PS. If you like sweet potatoes, be sure to check out my favorite Curried Sweet Potato Soup!
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!