Time for a soup recipe. The first time I had this soup was a few years ago when we took a family trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico for Christmas. I remember standing in the kitchen of the amazing house we rented (it had heated floors!!) with my mom making a big batch of this to eat after we went on a candlelight walk. So delicious.
Honestly, I really haven’t thought much about it since then…but while I was grocery shopping over the weekend, I noticed a large pile of tomatillos and it got me thinking. Salsa verde (a key ingredient in this soup) is usually loaded with sodium, so I decided to be brave and try making my own! Turns out it’s super easy. Homemade salsa verde, some crockpot pulled pork and just a few other ingredients and you’ve got yourself a winner of a dinner!
Here’s what you need:Print
Pork Chili Verde Salsa Verde
A delicious, hearty soup. The perfect way to put a new spin on some of your pulled pork leftovers!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c onion, diced
- 3–4 cups pulled pork, cooked
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 c salsa verde
- 3 c broth
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 – 1tsp cayenne pepper
- 12 oz tomatillos
- 2 serrano peppers
- 1/2 c onion
- 1/4 c water
- 3 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- In a large dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic until onions are translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve topped with avocado and cheese if desired.
- Remove the papery skins from the tomatillos.
- Slice in half and roast at 425 for 10 min (or 4-5 min under the broiler).
- Combine the tomatillos, onion, water, cilantro and salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Makes approximately 13/4 cups
In case you’re unfamiliar with tomatillos, here’s what they look like:
Use a kitchen scale to weigh out 12 oz or just use approximately 7-8 medium tomatillos.
Are you a fan of salsa verde? Or do you prefer red salsa?
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!