I have another hubby-approved breakfast to share with you guys!
Quinoa Breakfast Bars
These bars come together quickly, especially if you have leftover quinoa in the fridge like I usually do. I used my Healthy Breakfast Bars as a base, but wanted to kick them up a notch!
Here’s the recipe:
Ingredients (6 bars)
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour (or chickpea flour to make GF)
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- 1 c oats
- 1/2 c nuts, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 c peanut butter
- 1/4 c brown rice syrup (or agave, honey, or maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c applesauce (or mashed banana)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c craisins
1. Combine applesauce, vanilla, egg white, peanut butter and brown rice syrup in a small bowl and mix well.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until just mixed.
3. Spoon into a greased 8×8 pan and bake at 375 for 20 min or until golden brown.
4. Let cool and cut into 6 bars.
5. Store in the refrigerator.
I cut these into six bars and put each one in a snack size ziploc bag before putting them in the fridge. That way they were ready to go and hubby could just grab a bag on the way out the door to work.
These quinoa breakfast bars are chewy and delicious- perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. They’re packed with protein and fiber and they’re gluten-free as long as you use GF oats. Plus, they could be made vegan if you used a flax egg! I used pecans in mine but almonds would be good as well.
Over the weekend, I doubled the recipe, used honey instead of brown rice syrup and cooked them in a 9×13 pan. It worked just as well!