Tex-Mex Migas – a simple, vegetarian recipe, perfect for breakfast or dinner. Add a simple sweet potato and black bean hash for extra protein and fiber!
First things first. You might notice things look a little different around here. My new header is courtesy of Megan Hogan, a local Columbus designer, and I love it. I was ready for a change and I love how clean and simple it is! Once I had my new header ready to go, the fabulous Julie at Deluxe Designs helped me get it up and running, change around some colors etc. I’m loving the new look and am so grateful for both of their help!
Now, let’s talk about the food.
You may be looking at these and thinking they’re not all that different from the Breakfast Nachos I shared a couple months ago…and you’d be correct. But here’s the deal. Nachos require full chips. This requires tortilla chip crumbs. An alternate title to this post would be – “the perfect way to use the crumbs at the bottom of a bag of chips”, but I didn’t feel like that would get as many hits in the search engines 🙂 But it’s the truth. I read somewhere that migas means crumbs? I’m not totally sure if that’s correct, but I’m going with it.
This recipe is super simple, vegetarian, gluten-free and delicious! It basically involved pumping up your standard scrambled eggs with some tortilla chips, veggies and cheese and then taking things to the next level by serving it alongside a spicy mixture of sweet potatoes and black beans. Top it all off with a little extra cheese, avocado and salsa and you’ve got yourself a nice little plate of deliciousness.
Am I right?! Here’s the recipe:Print
Tex-Mex Migas are a simple, vegetarian recipe, perfect for breakfast or dinner. Add a simple sweet potato and black bean hash for extra protein and fiber!
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup black beans
- juice from half a lime
- 1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 4 eggs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or mexican blend)
- 1 cup crumbled tortilla chips
- avocado & salsa for topping
- In a pan with a splash of oil or butter, saute sweet potatoes, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice and spices over high heat for about 10 minutes or until sweet potatoes reach desired softness.
- Add black beans, let heat through, then remove mixture from pan and set aside.
- Add red pepper and onion to pan and saute for 3-5 minutes.
- Add tortilla chips, eggs and milk and scramble eggs, cooking until desired level of doneness is reached.
- Add cheese and mix well.
- Serve warm with black bean mixture. Top with avocado and salsa.
To speed up the process, microwave the sweet potatoes for a minute or two before adding them to the pan to help them cook more quickly!
I could probably eat this every day and be happy.
You could easily add some chicken sausage or leftover chicken or beef to this if you wanted to!
[Tweet “These Tex-Mex Migas with Spicy Sweet Potato Hash via @leangrnbeanblog look delicious!”]
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!