This Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole is packed with flavor and super simple! The perfect recipe for a busy weeknight dinner and you’ll have leftovers to pack for lunch!
I have another easy dinner recipe for you today! I was walking through the grocery store the other day and I saw some tomatillos that were pretty much begging to be turned into salsa. A couple years ago I learned how to make Homemade Salsa Verde and it’s SO easy! So I came home and whipped up a double batch, which then inspired me to make this casserole.
If you use pre-cooked chicken, this casserole comes together super quickly but even if you start from scratch it can be ready in about 30 minutes!
Here’s how you make it:Print
Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole
This Salsa Verde Chicken Casserole is easy to make and full of flavor! The perfect recipe for a busy weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2/3 cup brown rice, uncooked
- 1 pound chicken
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup red peppers, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 2/3 cup shredded cheese
- optional toppings: cilantro, avocado, cheese, salsa
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Dice and cook chicken if needed, or use pre-cooked chicken.
- Make salsa verde if you’re making it homemade.
- In a large pan, saute onion, peppers, corn, beans and cumin for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked rice, cooked chicken, salsa verde and cheese and mix well.
- Top as desired and serve warm.
Feel free to use store-bought salsa verde, or make your own. For my recipe, scroll down to the bottom of this post. I like to make mine extra spicy! Make a double batch and make some of my Pork Chili Verde as well!
Change things up and use farro, quinoa or whatever else you desire instead of rice or easily make it vegetarian by leaving out the chicken!
Dinner is served!