These Lemon Berry Ice Cream Sandwiches are the perfect summer dessert. Plus they’re lactose-free, so those who are dairy sensitive can enjoy them too!
This post was sponsored by LACTAID®. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Did you know July is National Ice Cream Month?! I personally can’t think of a better way to beat the summer heat than with a cold, refreshing ice cream treat. Remember a few months ago when I shared this recipe for Peanut Butter Bread Pudding with Smashed Raspberries using LACTAID® milk? I told you all about how I struggled with lactose-intolerance in high school and I remember summers really being a struggle because of all the ice cream!
Well good news! LACTAID® also makes ice cream and they’ve asked me to help spread the word about their No More Dairy Envy Campaign, which is committed to helping those with dairy sensitivity due to lactose savor the full joy of dairy. They have six different flavors, including Mint Chocolate Chip, which is new this year!
I was tasked with creating a delicious ice cream dessert for you guys using LACTAID® ice cream and I happily accepted the challenge.
These little beauties are what I came up with! Lemon Berry Ice Cream Sandwiches. While I love a good ice cream cone, there’s just something way more satisfying about an ice cream sandwich! I subbed LACTAID® Vanilla Ice Cream for regular vanilla and made the sandwiches lactose-free as well so all my friends and family could enjoy this tasty treat! It’s just like regular ice cream, except without the lactose!
It took me a few tries to get the sandwich part right. I first started with regular cookies, but then the cookie overwhelmed the ice cream and it just wasn’t a good balance….so I went with more of a thin bar so you really get to enjoy all the flavors! Plus bars are easy to cut into whatever size sandwiches you desire!
Here’s how you make them:Print
Lemon Berry Ice Cream Sandwiches
These Lemon Berry Ice Cream Sandwiches are the perfect summer dessert. Plus they’re lactose-free, so those who are dairy-sensitive can enjoy them too!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 8 mini sandwiches 1x
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, measured as a solid and then melted
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- Lactaid vanilla ice cream
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Stir in flour and mix until combined.
- Spread into the bottom of a 9×9 pan lined with parchment paper.
- Puree strawberries in a food processor.
- Spread and swirl berry mixture into lemon bars. It may be hard to swirl but do your best to spread it out.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Turn one square over, top with a scoop of Lactain vanila ice cream, press another square on top to form a sandwich.
- Place on a plate, repeat with remaining squares, freeze.
Simple enough right? Now go make a batch and stock your freezer! These can get a little messy and you definitely need to work quickly to assemble them. Be sure the bars are totally cool before starting and let your ice cream rest at room temperature for a little while to make it easily scoopable…but not overly soft and melty.