With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe for an Easy Cucumber and Tomato Salad is the perfect way to enjoy summer produce!
*Originally published July 2015. Updated July 2022*
This easy tomato and cucumber salad is super simple, but it’s full of flavor. There’s something so refreshing about a veggie-packed summer salad like this one topped with a fresh, flavorful dressing.
The best time to enjoy this salad is the middle of summer when there’s an overabundance of cucumbers and tomatoes that need to be used up. Since it gets better the longer it sits, you can make a big batch and enjoy it all week long. It’s the perfect addition to your sunday food prep. Want to learn more about meal prep? I have a whole course to teach you. Check out Mastering Food Prep to learn all my best tips and tricks!
Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Italian Dressing
My mother-in-law has been making a similar salad using Italian dressing for years and my husband loves it. To make that version, simply slice up some tomatoes, cucumbers and red onions and then drizzle with Italian dressing.
While I love that version as well, I decided I wanted to put my own spin on it with a homemade dressing. If homemade dressing intimidates you, don’t worry! You probably have all the ingredients you need right in the pantry. Here’s what you need:
Cucumber Tomato and Onion Salad Ingredients
- Cucumber – I prefer English cucumbers because they’re less watery. You can also use regular cucumbers and scoop out the seeds.
- Tomato – Any kind works. I typically use cherry tomatoes and quarter them.
- Red onion – Optional but adds some flavor
- Oil – Any mild-flavored oil like avocado oil works well.
- Red wine vinegar
- Sugar – To add a bit of sweetness.
- Black pepper – freshly cracked is best!
The dressing adds a light summer flavor while still letting the tomatoes and other produce shine!
Here’s how you make it!
Cucumber and Tomato Salad RecipePrint
Easy Tomato and Cucumber Salad
With just a few simple ingredients, this recipe for an Easy Tomato and Cucumber Salad is the perfect way to enjoy summer produce!
- Yield: serves 4
- 1 English cucumber, sliced and halved
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar, more if desired
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine tomato, cucumber and red onion in a bowl.
- Drizzle with oil, vinegar and sugar and stir. Taste and adjust if needed, adding more vinegar or sugar if desired.
- Top with freshly cracked black pepper, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
What to serve with cucumber tomato salad?
While this salad tastes great by itself, you can also use it in other ways:
- Throw it in a wrap or pita with some grilled chicken and feta
- Serve it over chicken – I love this Simple Chicken Marinade for Meal Prep
- Serve it as a side dish with burgers – try these Avocado Chicken Burgers
- Stir in some leftover cooked pasta or orzo and some white beans or chicken sausage.
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!