This Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffing is hearty enough for a meal but also makes a delicious side dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
**This post was originally published Oct 14, 2014. Photos and some of the text was updated before republishing**
Would you believe me if I told you that stuffing used to be my least favorite part of Thanksgiving? I’m not really sure why. I just know I avoided it as a kid and it wasn’t until just a few years ago that I discovered how delicious my mom’s Sausage & Wild Rice Stuffing actually is. Hubby loves it as well so I’ve started making it regularly around this time of year. A few years ago I posted a vegetarian version of it since we weren’t eating meat at the time…. but this year I thought I should share the original version since here we are only in October and I’ve already made it twice just because we love it so much.
So now you can make it yourselves. Save it for the holidays or just make it randomly to enjoy like I do. I love this recipe because it has a few ingredients that I don’t use nearly often enough while cooking. It’s made with leeks, which I use in my Curried Sweet Potato Soup recipe, but other than that I rarely buy them. It also uses wild rice, which I kinda love, but I feel like is very often overlooked and under-appreciated in the food world. Plus it has apples, which I always have on hand this time of year and bread…which i just love no matter what!
So here’s how you make it:
Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffing
A delicious stuffing that makes the perfect holiday side dish but is also hearty enough to enjoy as a meal on its own.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 medium apple apple, chopped
- 3 chicken sausages, halved & sliced
- 1 tsp McCormickâs grill seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Craisins
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 3-4 cup stale bread, cubed
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup chicken broth
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Saute the leeks in the butter until soft.
- Add the apple, sausage, Craisins and seasonings and saute 5 minutes more
- Stir in the cooked rice, parsley and bread cubes until well combined.
- Slowly add broth until all of the bread is moistened.
- Cook until heated through and serve warm.
Pretty easy and super delicious! Feel free to customize with your favorite kind of sausage. And don’t leave out the leeks! They add a mellow yet unique flavor that pairs well with the rest of the ingredients.
Add this Sausage and Wild Rice Stuffing to your holiday menu this year!Click To Tweet
Are you a stuffing lover? What’s your favorite version?