This Mexican Skillet Casserole is the perfect weeknight meal. Full of lean protein, healthy carbs and veggies and topped with healthy fats, it provides a complete meal and means you don’t have to worry about side dishes!
Sometimes the thought of making dinner overwhelms me. You have to figure out what you’re going to make, then you have to come up with some side dishes to serve with it so that you’re getting a balanced meal, then you have to actually do the cooking!
That’s why I love dishes like this. It’s everything you need for a meal all in one pan. You’ve got protein, carbs, lots of veggies and you can throw some avocado on top for healthy fat! I made this mostly for hubby. He’s a red meat lover, while I am not. We buy organic, grass-fed ground beef from Costco and I’m always looking for different ways to cook it for him. We make burgers, meatballs, taco meat, lasagna and meatloaf but I was looking for something new.
You guys know we’re huge Mexican lovers so I thought I’d put a bunch of good stuff all together in one big skillet and call it a day- rice, beans, meat, veggies, cheese, salsa…you name it, in it went!
The end result was a win! Hubby ate it by itself and also used it as a burrito filling. You could also put it over lettuce for a taco salad of sorts.
Here’s how you make it:Print
Mexican Skillet Casserole
The perfect weeknight dinner. Everything you need for a complete meal in one big skillet.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 3/4 cup brown rice, uncooked (sub white rice if desired)
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced (I also added a green pepper)
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 pound ground beef (sub ground turkey or chicken if desired)
- 1 – 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- avocado for topping, optional
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic, red pepper, onion, jalapeno and ground beef to skillet and cook until beef is no longer pink.
- Drain any liquid, then add spices, corn, beans, cheese and salsa and heat through.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if desired.
- Add rice and stir until combined. Top with avocado if desired and serve warm.
That’s it! Like I mentioned in the recipe, you can use brown or white rice, or you could sub something like quinoa or farro if desired. If you like things spicy, use hot salsa. You could even add some chili powder if you want.
Eat it plain, scoop it up with chips, put it in a burrito…whatever strikes your fancy!
Are you a fan of one pot meals or do you prefer a main dish and separate sides?
PS. Nothing says you can’t serve this with sides. Adding another side of veggies or a side salad is always a good idea 🙂