Happy Monday. A few quick announcements before we get started! If you didn’t read The Bean over the weekend, you missed out on a couple of AWESOME posts, so I thought i’d just take a second to point them out to you.
1. My hubby built me pretty much the best thing ever this weekend. It’s a stand that fits around my treadmill so that I can use my laptop while I’m walking. It’s seriously amazing. Definitely check it out…and then build one for yourself! Bonus- all the wood and paint we used was from leftover projects that have been done previously around the house so it’s totally green! CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT IT!
Ok, moving on…Can you believe it’s already time for another Foodie Penpals reveal day?
- Freeze-dried mango, which I’d never tried before. Definitely making some tropical granola bars with that!
- Some locally made cookies. I always say I don’t like coconut but I must be coming around slightly because I don’t mind coconut milk in my curry and I actually liked these cookies. I’m trying to save them so I’ve just been having a nibble here and there. They’re like fun little shortbread cookies, except better!
- Homemade Coffee Cashew Cookie Bars! She posted the recipe on her blog (click here to see it!) and she kindly left the coconut out of mine. I was surprised how much I liked the coffee flavor in these. A delicious little treat!
- Roasted chickpeas and fava beans– another homemade treat! i LOVE roasted chickpeas and had no idea you could even roast fava beans. Very cool!
- Red lentils– my favorite kind! How did she know?
- Brown Basmati rice– we go through this stuff so fast in my house!
- Indian spices– she knows we love Indian food and it was sweet that she sent us stuff to make our own at home- which we do about once a week 🙂
Here’s a detailed explanation of the program:
-On the 5th of the month, you will receive your penpal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your penpal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your penpal!
-The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!
-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)
-Foodie Penpals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you can choose to write a short guest post for your penpal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month.
– Foodie Penpals is open to US, Canadian residents & UK residents. Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We’ve determined things might get too slow and backed up if we’re trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa. So, I’m going to keep two separate lists and match US w/ US and Canada w/ Canada!
If you live in Asia or Australia and want to get involved, email me and I’ll see if we get enough interest.