This Pumpkin Buckwheat Porridge is a delicious, filling breakfast made with whole grains and lots of Fall flavor!
By posting this recipe I’m entering the Make the Switch Recipe Contest. I did not receive compensation for this post but am eligible to win prizes associated with this contest.
Did you know that September is Whole Grains Month? If you’ve been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that I’m a big fan of whole grains (hello more protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals than refined grains!), so when Oldways and the Whole Grains Council reached out to ask me to enter their recipe contest and help spread the word about the benefits of whole grains, I jumped at the chance!
For this contest, 16 bloggers were asked to create a recipe starring whole grains to encourage people to add them to their diet. Then the Whole Grains Council shared all 16 recipes on their website to celebrate Whole Grains month, giving the public a chance to vote for their favorites and hopefully inspiring people to try some new whole grains!
While some bloggers chose to revamp a recipe that traditionally uses refined grains, I used this as a chance to explore a whole grain I don’t eat all that often- buckwheat! I wanted to create a breakfast using buckwheat that might encourage people to break away from their typical sugary breakfast cereals and try this instead!
Confession- I developed this recipe back in June when it was not anywhere close to pumpkin time. Might have to make it again now that it’s fall!
Here’s how you make it:
I used apples in mine to double the fall flavor but bananas would also work well to add sweetness! If your porridge gets too thick, just stir in a little extra milk.
I encourage you to head over the check out the rest of the recipe contest entries and vote for the ones that look best to you! CLICK HERE to see all 16 Make the Switch recipe contest entries! Bonus- Once you register and vote, you’re entered into a drawing to win $500!
To entice you, here’s a list of the other recipes in the contest:
- Apple Pie Smoothie
- Barley Risotto with Kale and Squash
- Amaranth Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
- Lightened Up Stuffed Pepper Casserole
- Grilled Ratatouille Quinoa
- Millet and Lamb Tagine
- Chicken and Farro Whole Grain Empanadas
- Wild Rice and Fall Fruit Salad
- Spiced Jonnycakes with Apple Compote
- Chewy Quinoa Monster Cookies
- Spiced Ginger Citrus Millet
- Amaranth Crab Cakes
- Corn Chowder with Wild Rice
- Baked Spelt RotiniCurried Spelt
What’s your favorite whole grain?
Pumpkin Buckwheat Porridge
A warm, hearty, whole grain breakfast that's perfect for Fall!
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped apples or banana
- Maple syrup, pumpkin seeds, for topping
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then crack lid, reduce to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Divide into two bowls and serve warm. Top with maple syrup to reach desired sweetness and pumpkin seeds for a little crunch!
- Porridge will thicken as it sits.