This recipe for Pesto Chicken Pizza Rolls is a fun way to change things up from traditional pizza. Serve them warm or cold, for lunch or dinner. They’re easy to make and kid-friendly as well!
It’s time for another month of Recipe Redux! This month the theme was packable lunch ideas. I don’t currently have to pack my lunch…but that doesn’t mean I haven’t done my fair share of packing in the past….or that I won’t have to again in the future. So I was totally on board for this prompt.
I wanted to make something kid-friendly since I now share my lunches with Squish and also wanted something that tasted good hot or cold. Some people have microwaves to reheat stuff at lunchtime and some don’t.
Pizza immediately came to mind as something that’s equally good hot or cold…but regular pizza was just a little too boring. I remembered scrolling by something similar to these on Pinterest a couple months ago and they stuck in my mind visually. Since I didn’t have a recipe to work with, I decided to just wing it.
I used a few shortcuts, including picking up some freshly made pesto and pizza dough at the store and after consulting my fridge, I realized I had plenty of cooked chicken thighs from my Sunday food prep that I could use as well. So, although the rolls themselves are a bit time-consuming to assemble, the filling came together in a jiffy and it all balanced out.
These are basically all the goodness of pizza toppings wrapped up in a ball of pizza dough!
Here’s how you make them:
Next time I make these I’d probably add a bit more chicken, but that’s just me 🙂
They’d be a great party appetizer and I also enjoyed them both reheated and cold for lunch over the next few days.
For more packable lunch ideas, check out the link-up below!
Pesto Chicken Pizza Rolls
This recipe for Pesto Chicken Pizza Rolls is a fun way to change things up from traditional pizza. Serve them warm or cold, for lunch or dinner. They're easy to make and kid-friendly as well!
- 1 cup cooked chicken, finely diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup pizza sauce
- 3 Tbsp pesto
- 1 batch of pre-made pizza dough (homemade or store-bought)
- Olive oil
- oregano & parmesan cheese for sprinkling on top
- Combine chicken, mozzarella, pesto and pizza sauce in a small bowl.
- Divide pizza dough into 16 equal balls.
- Stretch each dough ball with your hands into a circle that's 3-4 inches across.
- Add one tablespoon of chicken mixture to dough circle. Pinch sides together to seal and form a ball.
- Place seam side down in a pie tin lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with all dough balls.
- Brush tops of dough with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and oregano.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Serve with extra pizza sauce for dipping.