Your favorite childhood snack gets a makeover! This Healthier Puppy Chow is healthy enough to eat as a snack but sweet enough to pass as dessert!
Quick post today. I’m tired. This week is wearing me down for some reason. But I do have a fun little snack to share with you! Let’s take a little trip back to childhood. Remember puppy chow? Muddy buddies? Whatever you may have called it, it was a beloved treat for me growing up.
I decided to revisit that childhood recipe and make it a bit healthier. Here are the changes I made:
- Replaced the melted chocolate chips with Chocolate Nuttzo
- Cut WAY back on the powdered sugar
- Added some healthy nuts and seeds to the mix
The result is puppy chow-ish. It’s still tossed in powdered sugar, so I wouldn’t go so far as to call it super-healthy but it’s definitely a step up from the original!
Here’s the recipe:
I used a mixture of Nuttzo and peanut butter. Feel free to use your favorite nut butter. Like I mention in the notes above, if you don’t have the chocolate nuttzo and still want the chocolate component, just melt some chocolate chips and add those to the mix! I used a combination of peanuts and almonds- you choose your favorite nuts to include!
Since I cut way back on the powered sugar coating, it’s best to store this in the fridge to help minimize the mess! If you want to add more powdered sugar for a thicker coating, go for it!
Full disclosure: I received the Nuttzo used in this recipe for free, but was not asked to create this recipe.
Healthier Puppy Chow
A nutritious spin on one of your favorite childhood treats!
- 3 cups Rice Chex
- 1/2 cup chocolate Nuttzo
- 1/4 cup nut butter
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup nuts
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Combine the chex, seeds and nuts in a large bowl.
- Melt the Nuttzo and peanut butter in the microwave.
- Pour over chex mixture and stir to combine.
- Let sit for 15 minutes or so to cool.
- Transfer mixture to a large ziploc bag. Add powdered sugar, close the bag and shake to coat.
- Store in the fridge.