A fun twist on the traditional enchilada. These would make the perfect appetizer and are also kid-friendly.
Last week I saw these Mini Tortilla Crust Pizzas on Healthy Aperture and I absolutely could not get them out of my head. Seriously, I thought about them all weekend…and then finally, yesterday, I decided to make my own version for lunch. Since you guys know we’re crazy about Mexican food around here, I opted for an enchilada version instead. Holy delicious!
These Enchilada Cups are all the deliciousness of an enchilada, but in miniature form. They’d be a perfect party appetizer because they can be eaten in just a few bites. I’d also venture a guess they’d be a hit with the kiddos.
You have a couple of options here. You can do what I did and bake the filling in the cups. This will result in a softer shell, but they’re fine as long as you eat them right after you make them. If you’re looking for a bit of a crisper shell, you could bake the shells first, then warm the filling separately and just stick them under the broiler for a minute or two to melt the cheese. Totally up to you!
Here’s what you do:
A simple appetizer or an easy weeknight meal that the kids will love!
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (8 or 9 inch), storebought or
- make your own
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup (heaping) black beans, cooked
- 1/2 cup (heaping) cooked chicken, diced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/3 cup enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- -optional toppings: avocado, tomato, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the tortillas on a flat surface.
- Press a pint glass into the tortilla to make a circle imprint, then use the tip of a knife to cut out the circle. Repeat 8 times, 4 per tortilla. (You could also use a cookie cutter)
- Microwave the circles for 7-10 seconds then press into greased muffin tins.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients.
- Spoon mixture into tortilla cups and top with cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove from muffin tins and serve warm.
This is a fairly simple recipe. I gave you quantities, but they are not exact. You could easily double or triple the recipe, sub things in and out, etc. The number of cups you make will depend on how full you fill them.
I’m pretty sure I had 8 inch tortillas and I used a pint glass as my circle tracer. If you’re very careful, you can get 4 cups per tortilla. You could also use larger tortillas and obviously get more circles out of each one.
To use up the tortilla scraps, I just cut them up and threw them in the empty muffin tins with a little olive oil and bam- tortilla chip type things!
Feel free to top with avocado, salsa, etc if you desire!