You’d think that because green bean is in the title of my blog, that I like them any which way, right? Not so. In fact, I’m crazy picky about green beans. I only like them if they’re still crunchy and most of the time I’d rather eat them cold not warm. And I cannot STAND mushy green beans.
Hubby, on the other hand, prefers them a little more well done. And he’s a huge fan of green bean casserole at Thanksgiving. You know, the traditional Campbell’s recipe? Well, this year I set out to make a healthier version that hubby would still eat!
Here’s what I came up with!Print
Healthy Green Bean Casserole
A completely homemade, lightened up version of your favorite Thanksgiving casserole.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced and diced
- 3 Tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups skim milk
- 2/3 cups plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 – 12 ounce bags frozen green beans
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add garlic, onion and mushrooms and saute 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly to avoid clumping.
- Add yogurt and seasonings, reduce heat and let simmer 5-10 minutes until thickened.
- Cook green beans according to package directions (in microwave or on the stove. Drain excess water).
- Add green beans to sauce and stir to combine.
- Pour into a casserole dish. Top with parmesan if desired. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Give it a try, friends! It’s pretty simple and it passed the hubby test 🙂
I actually put some cayenne pepper in hubby’s version because he likes things spicy, but I know that’s a departure from the traditional.
What’s your favorite Thanksgiving side dish?
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!