First things first…if you’re stopping by thanks to Julie’s blog post yesterday…HI! Glad you’re here 🙂
Now, let’s talk about this Chicken Tortilla Soup! I don’t know about where you are, but here in Ohio the weather is doing some crazy things! And by weird I mean when I woke up yesterday it was 53 degrees and it didn’t get above 72 for the entire day. In AUGUST. Say whaaaa?! Anyways, I’m not complaining. In fact, I celebrated by making some soup!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Let me just take a second to apologize that I haven’t gotten out my real camera to take a picture in approximately 20 years. I’m just lazy. So, phone pics it is! Anyways, back to the soup. I had some leftover chicken and black beans in the fridge, which immediately made me think of tortilla soup. I made it a bit non-traditional by adding some extra veggies…but the more the better in my book!
Here’s the recipe:Print
Chicken Tortilla Soup
A lightened up version of a traditional favorite. Packed with protein and lots of veggies, it’s easily customizable and comes together in a snap!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 1/2 c onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeno, minced
- 1 c bell peppers, diced
- 3/4 c sweet potato, diced
- 1 c green beans, chopped
- 1- 14.5 oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 c black beans
- 1.5 c chicken, cooked and diced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1/4 c fresh cilantro
- cheese & avocado for topping
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, saute the first 6 ingredients over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes (with liquid), beans, chicken, broth and dry spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables reach desired tenderness.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro and top with a sprinkle of cheese & avocado
The thing I love about soup is that it’s super forgiving. You don’t really ever have to follow a soup recipe exactly…and 95% of the time it still turns out great. So modify away, my friends! Don’t like one of those veggies? Leave it out or add a different one.
This batch wasn’t quite spicy enough for me. I only used one jalapeno so next time I’ll probably use 2 and bump up the other spices a little bit as well. Serve over quinoa for an added protein boost and add a side salad to make a complete meal!
What’s your favorite kind of soup?