Let the crockpot do all the work with these Slow Cooker Loaded Sweet Potatoes. Individual foil packets make them easy to serve and cleanup is a breeze!
Just popping in with super simple dinner idea for you! I’ve professed my love for loaded sweet potatoes many times but this time I made it even easier by using my slow cooker.
Basically, this is another fix it and forget it meal idea that just requires you to make up a few foil packets, throw them in the crockpot and go on about your day. When you come back, you’ll have a delicious packet of Mexican goodness waiting for you. The foil packets pretty much go straight from crockpot to table leaving you with no messy crockpot to clean and hardly any dirty dishes!
This recipe is easy to customize based on flavor preferences and doesn’t need exact quantities. Just pick your favorite toppings, pile them on and voila!
Here’s what you need:
I kept these vegetarian by omitting the meat, but you could easily add some leftover chicken or pork, or some pre-cooked chicken sausage, etc if you’re a meat-eater. I forgot to include this idea in my 12 Ways To Use Leftovers post! Choose your favorite grain. I used wheat berries but rice, quinoa etc would work just as well!
I chose small sweet potatoes at the store specifically for this recipe so I put a whole one in each packet. If your sweet potatoes are larger, consider using only half in each packet.
Clearly I forgot to add the avocado before I took these pictures! But make no mistake, it was added when I ate one for lunch!
Slow Cooker Loaded Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes loaded with all your favorite Mexican toppings and cooked in the crockpot!
- sweet potatoes
- cooked rice (or quinoa, wheatberries, etc)
- black beans, cooked
- cooked meat (optional- try chicken, pork, chicken sausage, etc)
- shredded cheese
- Additional toppings as desired: avocado, salsa, lettuce, etc
- Cut the sweet potatoes in half. Depending on their size, put either one or both halves on a large sheet of foil.
- Top each potato with rice, beans, meat (if desired), peppers and onions.
- Sprinkle with cumin.
- Top with cheese.
- Fold foil to make a closed packet around each potato and place in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove and serve warm. Top with avocado, salsa, lettuce, etc as desired.