I was gonna save this recipe for Monday. But since it’s Friday….and Thanksgiving is coming up…and because I love you, I decided to share it with you today.
So here’s the deal. If you know me at all, you know I’m my own harshest critic. I can almost always find something wrong with whatever I happened to make on a given day…and I’m here to tell you that these are PHENOMENAL. So take that for what it’s worth.
This recipe was loosely inspired by Jamie’s recipe for Pumpkin Blondies. And when I say loosely, I do mean loosely. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure those blondies are absolutely delicious. But I was in the mood for something a little healthier. So, I reduced the butter by 1.5 sticks, cut the sugar from 1.5 c to 2/3 c, added some oats and fun mix-ins, made a few other quantity adjustments and hoped for the best!
Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Keywords: bake breakfast dessert snack healthy vegetarian oats pumpkin cranberry bars fall
Ingredients (24 bars)
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 c oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 c pumpkin
- ½ c dark chocolate chips
- ½ c butterscotch chips
- ½ c Craisins
1. Cream butter and sugars in a medium bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Add the egg, vanilla and pumpkin and mix well.
3. Mix in the flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt and mix well.
4. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and Craisins and mix until evenly distributed
5. Grease a 9×13 pan and spread mixture evenly in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
6. Cool completely in pan. Use a sharp knife to cut into squares.
You may reduce the sugar to 1/4 c of each for a slightly less sweet bar that would be good for breakfast.
Grease the pan well, these are sticky!
Annnnnnd, since I was feeling super lazy when I made these, I didn’t even bust out the camera to photograph them. Instead I just snapped a few pictures on my phone and then played around with all my photo apps. So that’ll just have to do for now
Hands down best thing I’ve made in a while.
Hope you all have a fabulous weekend!