This four ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken gets its flavor from the salsa verde, comes together quickly and makes a great weeknight dinner.
Hi Friends –
Today I’m introducing you to another bloggy friend of mine! Amelia is a mom-of-2 who blogs over at Eating Made Easy. She shares delicious, simple recipes and we share a similar philosophy on food and life. As a fellow mom, she knows how crazy newborn life is and she offered to share one of her favorite quick & easy recipes with you guys. I can’t wait to try it myself! Doesn’t get any better than 4 ingredients 🙂
There was a time, I’m embarrassed to admit, when I wondered why anyone even owned a slow cooker. “Cooking is fun!” I naively said to myself, “and making soups and braises in a pot on the stove is so easy!” Well friends, it’s payback time.
Here I am now, a working mom of two, who despite being a nutritionist and food blogger, can barely get dinner on the table most nights.
If it weren’t for make-ahead meals, my Dutch oven, and the occasional box of macaroni & cheese, we’d probably never eat at home. Luckily, I have kind blogger friends like Lindsay, who forgive me for my past foolishness and allow me to share one of my favorite slow-cooking recipes with you!
Busy moms and overwhelmed home cooks, meet my latest love:
Salsa Verde Braised Chicken
Just 4 ingredients + a couple hours on a low burner or in the slow cooker and you’ve got a dinner. You can serve this over rice or another grain, or with corn tortillas as a make-your-own chicken taco bar. Both ways are delicious!
Happy (slow) cooking!Print
4 Ingredient Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
This Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken requires just four ingredients. Throw everything in the crockpot before work and dinner will be waiting when you come home!
- Yield: serves 6-8 1x
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 28 oz jar salsa verde (I like the Whole Foods brand)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- Tortillas or cooked rice, for serving
- Other optional toppings: shredded lettuce, Greek yogurt or sour cream, avocado, shredded cheese, black beans, etc.
- Cooking Option 1:
- Add 1 Tbsp oil to a large Dutch oven and heat over medium-low heat for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side (you may need to do this in two batches to avoid overcrowding the pot). Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add chopped onion and cook until it begins to soften.
- Add chicken back to the pot along with the salsa and corn and cook over low heat for about two hours.
- Remove chicken from pot and pull apart with a fork, then add back to the pot to reincorporate with the sauce.
- Serve with tortillas or rice, plus dollops of Greek yogurt and/or guacamole.
- Cooking Option 2:
- Place first four ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Use a fork to shred the chicken, then mix chicken back in with the sauce. Serve as mentioned above.
- **Note: This chicken dish can be frozen and enjoyed up to 3 months later**
Huge thanks to Amelia for stopping by to share this delicious recipe! Be sure to check out her site for more great recipes!
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!