This sweet and spicy roasted chick pea snack mix contains added fiber and protein, and is perfect when you’re looking for a healthy, crunchy snack!
Thanks to Bush’s® Beans for sponsoring this post.
We’re kicking off the new year with a new snack idea that I know you’ll love! This Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chick Pea Snack is made with BUSH’S® Garbanzo Beans that are roasted to crispy perfection and then mixed with a few other crunchy favorites like popcorn, nuts and plantain chips!
My friends at BUSH’S® Beans – That Beautiful Bean Company – are celebrating the beauty of beans and I’m excited to share a few reasons why beans are so beautiful to me!
- They’re versatile and can be used in so many different recipes that you’ll never get tired of them!
- They’re nutritious, with added protein, fiber and other nutrients.
- They’re a great way to help introduce more plant-based proteins into your diet and help you create more nutrient-dense meals and snacks.
Roasted Chick Pea Snack Mix
I’ve been enjoying this roasted chick pea snack mix for a couple of weeks now, and it has definitely become my go-to afternoon snack. It’s the perfect blend of a bunch of my crunchy favorites and I love that it’s just a little sweet and a little spicy too!
Let’s talk about what’s included:
- Bush’s® Garbanzo Beans – Roasted in the air fryer or oven to get them nice and crunchy!
- Popcorn – It’s so easy to make your own with just popcorn kernels and a brown paper lunch sack.
- Plantain chips – Another crunchy addition. You could swap banana chips for a little more sweetness or try something like crunchy rice cereal instead.
- Peanuts – My go-to nut but you could easily sub almonds or another favorite of yours. Or try something like pumpkin seeds!
- Seasonings – I mix melted butter with a little brown sugar and cayenne pepper. You could skip the sugar and add some garlic powder or paprika for a more savory mix.
- Optional – To add more sweetness you could add a handful of raisins or other dried fruit or even some chocolate chips
You can make a big batch of this roasted chick pea snack mix with minimal effort and enjoy it all week long. Here’s how:Print
Roasted Chick Pea Snack Mix
This sweet and spicy roasted chick pea snack mix is packed with fiber and protein and perfect when you’re looking for a healthy, crunchy snack!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
1 can Bush’s® Garbanzo Beans
4 cups popcorn
1 cup plantain chips
1/2 cup peanuts
Optional mix ins- dried fruit, chocolate chips
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper
2–3 tsp brown sugar
- Drain Bush’s® Garbanzo Beansand pour onto a paper towel. Rub gently to dry.
- Put chick peas in the basket of an air fryer and spray with oil. Roast plain or sprinkle with a little salt and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper if desired.
- Set air fryer to 400 degrees and cook 15 min, stopping to toss every 5 min. Check every min or so after 10 min until you figure out how quickly they cook in your air fryer. (See note below if you don’t have an air fryer.)
- Put 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch sack. Fold the top down and use the popcorn button in the microwave. (See note below)
- Combine roasted chick peas and popcorn in a large bowl with plantain chips and peanuts.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter and mix in brown sugar and cayenne. Stir to combine then pour over snack mixture. Stir well.
- Pour onto a baking sheet and bake at 250 for 45 min, stirring once. Let cool completely before eating.
- If you don’t have an air fryer you can roast the chickpeas in the oven.
- Feel free to cook the popcorn however you like or use store bought.
- You can sub banana chips or crunchy cereal for the plantain chips.
- For a savory mix, skip the brown sugar and add garlic powder or paprika. Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to fit your taste.
- Mix in any optional additions like dried fruit or chocolate chips after it’s completely cooled.
What do you think?! Will you try it?
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!