This sweet and spicy roasted chick pea snack mix contains added fiber and protein, and is perfect when you’re looking for a healthy, crunchy snack!
Thanks to Bush’s® Beans for sponsoring this post.
We’re kicking off the new year with a new snack idea that I know you’ll love! This Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chick Pea Snack is made with BUSH’S® Garbanzo Beans that are roasted to crispy perfection and then mixed with a few other crunchy favorites like popcorn, nuts and plantain chips!
My friends at BUSH’S® Beans – That Beautiful Bean Company – are celebrating the beauty of beans and I’m excited to share a few reasons why beans are so beautiful to me!
- They’re versatile and can be used in so many different recipes that you’ll never get tired of them!
- They’re nutritious, with added protein, fiber and other nutrients.
- They’re a great way to help introduce more plant-based proteins into your diet and help you create more nutrient-dense meals and snacks.
Roasted Chick Pea Snack Mix
I’ve been enjoying this roasted chick pea snack mix for a couple of weeks now, and it has definitely become my go-to afternoon snack. It’s the perfect blend of a bunch of my crunchy favorites and I love that it’s just a little sweet and a little spicy too!
Let’s talk about what’s included:
- Bush’s® Garbanzo Beans – Roasted in the air fryer or oven to get them nice and crunchy!
- Popcorn – It’s so easy to make your own with just popcorn kernels and a brown paper lunch sack.
- Plantain chips – Another crunchy addition. You could swap banana chips for a little more sweetness or try something like crunchy rice cereal instead.
- Peanuts – My go-to nut but you could easily sub almonds or another favorite of yours. Or try something like pumpkin seeds!
- Seasonings – I mix melted butter with a little brown sugar and cayenne pepper. You could skip the sugar and add some garlic powder or paprika for a more savory mix.
- Optional – To add more sweetness you could add a handful of raisins or other dried fruit or even some chocolate chips
You can make a big batch of this roasted chick pea snack mix with minimal effort and enjoy it all week long. Here’s how:Print
Roasted Chick Pea Snack Mix
This sweet and spicy roasted chick pea snack mix is packed with fiber and protein and perfect when you’re looking for a healthy, crunchy snack!
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
1 can Bush’s® Garbanzo Beans
4 cups popcorn
1 cup plantain chips
1/2 cup peanuts
Optional mix ins- dried fruit, chocolate chips
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 – 1 tsp cayenne pepper
2–3 tsp brown sugar
- Drain Bush’s® Garbanzo Beansand pour onto a paper towel. Rub gently to dry.
- Put chick peas in the basket of an air fryer and spray with oil. Roast plain or sprinkle with a little salt and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper if desired.
- Set air fryer to 400 degrees and cook 15 min, stopping to toss every 5 min. Check every min or so after 10 min until you figure out how quickly they cook in your air fryer. (See note below if you don’t have an air fryer.)
- Put 1/4 cup popcorn kernels in a brown paper lunch sack. Fold the top down and use the popcorn button in the microwave. (See note below)
- Combine roasted chick peas and popcorn in a large bowl with plantain chips and peanuts.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter and mix in brown sugar and cayenne. Stir to combine then pour over snack mixture. Stir well.
- Pour onto a baking sheet and bake at 250 for 45 min, stirring once. Let cool completely before eating.
- If you don’t have an air fryer you can roast the chickpeas in the oven.
- Feel free to cook the popcorn however you like or use store bought.
- You can sub banana chips or crunchy cereal for the plantain chips.
- For a savory mix, skip the brown sugar and add garlic powder or paprika. Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to fit your taste.
- Mix in any optional additions like dried fruit or chocolate chips after it’s completely cooled.
What do you think?! Will you try it?
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!