Elf For Health is back for another year and it’s time to kick things off!
Three years ago Elle of According to Elle (formerly Nutritionella) and I started this challenge to promote health and wellness during the holidays, a time when healthy habits tend to fall to the wayside. In years past, all challenge participants were paired up as elves to support and encourage each other during the holidays.
We recognize this is an especially busy time of year and not everyone can commit to having an elf, so this year you’ll have the option of having an elf assigned to you, or participating solo. Regardless of whether you want your very own elf or choose the solo route, all elves are welcome to join our awesome community on Facebook, as well as by using the #elf4health hashtag on Twitter and Instagram.
Here are all the details about what the challenge entails and how to sign up!
Introducing the Elf for Health Holiday Challenge! This is a four week challenge that will run from the Monday November 24th thru December 21, 2013. The challenges fall into 4 different categories: Food, Fitness, For You & For Others. There will be daily tasks, daily winners, prizes, weekly newsletters, and a Facebook group for support.
And are you ready for the best part? You’ll have an elf to support and encourage you! When you sign up, you will also be committing to be an elf for someone in return. Over the course of the challenge, you will have two different elves.
Sounds like a great way to stay motivated and meet new people over the holidays doesn’t it?! Since this challenge is internet based, anyone can participate… no matter where you’re located! All you need is access to the internet and an email address.
So what does an Elf do?
As an Elf, you are expected to support your assigned buddy with their holiday health goals and the daily challenges. Elves & buddies will be reassigned after 2 weeks so that hopefully you get to meet 2 new people! You are only asked to email your buddy 2 times per week:
- Monday: Send your buddy an email to help them with the challenges for that week. Ideas of things to include/attach: your own personal tips & tricks, inspiring words and/or images, a new, healthy recipe or workout to try.
- Thursday – Saturday: Any time during these days, check in with your buddy! For example, ask them if they tried a new recipe, workout, or had fun with any certain challenges. Feel free to tell them how you did with your challenges, too!
Anything more than those 2 emails is up to you but feel free to go above and beyond this to show your support! Just a few ideas: send your buddy Tweets, shout outs on our Facebook Page, email a fun workout you liked or send a hand written recipe or note.
- *Friday, November 21st at 11:59pm EST: sign up deadline
- Sunday, November 23rd: Round 1 Elf assignments emailed
- Monday, November 254h – Sunday, December 7th: Round 1
- Sunday, December 7th: Round 2 Elf assignments emailed; Round 1 “Best Elf” winners chosen
- Monday, December 8th – Sunday, December 21st: Round 2
- Sunday, December 21st: Round 1 “Best Elf” & participant grand prize winners chosen
*If you missed the initial sign up deadline, you can still participate:
- Sign up before December 5th for Round 2
We have some fabulous prizes from some of our favorite companies to give to the winners.
- 2 prizes for “Best Elf”, one awarded at the end of each round
- 1 grand prize for best participant awarded at the end of the challenge determined by participation, hashtagging and being an awesome Elf.
There will be a daily challenge winner chosen each day. Daily winners will be entered for a chance to win the grand prize!
Best elf prizes will given based on participation and nomination. If you love your elf, let us know so we can consider them for a Best Elf prize. Best Elf prizes will be awarded at the end of each round.
Prizes will be provided by our 2014 Challenge Sponsors:
Prize packs will include 3 months of meal planning from Cook Smarts, beautiful workout gear from Sweaty Betty, hemp seed protein powder from Manitoba Harvest, and more from Swanson Health, Love Grown Foods, Nuttzo, Cabot Cheese, and Sizzlefish.
** Unfortunately, due to shipping costs, only USA residents are eligible to win prizes. But we’d still love to have you participate, even if you’re from somewhere else!**
Still with me?
If so, you’re probably wondering what the daily challenges are, right? Here’s a nice square image that you can save on the lock screen of your phone to remind you of the challenges!
You can see more detailed descriptions on the calendar below and we’ll expand even more on the challenges in each weekly newsletter. See below for a printable list! Print it out and hang it somewhere to remind you participate, or add it to your Google calendar!
Want to sign up?! Fill out the form below.
We will be sending out a weekly newsletter reminding you of the weekly challenges so look out for a confirmation email to confirm your participation & newsletter subscription. If you don’t receive a confirmation email, check your spam box. If you still can’t find a confirmation email, let one of us (Elle or Lindsay) know ASAP and we’ll add you to the list.
Did you sign up? If you’re a blogger, grab a button:
Make sure you’re following us for the latest updates, daily challenge reminders and winner announcements by social media.
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!