This easy recipe for Dutch Oven Bread requires minimal effort and is basically foolproof. Enjoy homemade bread made with real, healthy ingredients and no processed junk.
**Photos updated April 2016**
I first shared this recipe over two years ago in a guest post. Last week I came to a few realizations:
- It had been far too long since I made this bread
- I should definitely share this recipe with all of you!
So here it is. A super easy way to make an absolutely delicious loaf of bread. It requires almost no kneading and it’s pretty much foolproof!
Dutch Oven Bread
Here’s the recipe:Print
Dutch Oven Bread
A foolproof recipe that requires very little kneading and comes out perfectly every time!
- Prep Time: 4 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours 40 minutes
- 2 c bread flour
- 1 c white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch of sugar
- 1.5 c warm water
- 2+3/4 tsp active dry yeast
- Pour the warm water into a large bowl. Add yeast and a pinch of sugar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add salt and flours and stir until a shaggy ball of dough is formed.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place for 4 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. With floured hands, knead the dough 5-10 times.
- Return dough to the bowl and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- While dough is rising, place your dutch oven (uncovered) in the oven and preheat to 430 degrees F.
- After 30 minutes, use floured hands to reshape dough into a ball and carefully drop into the dutch oven.
- Cover and let bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and let bake 10-15 minutes longer.
- Remove loaf from dutch oven and let cool.
In case you haven’t picked up on it yet, I love my Dutch oven 🙂
I’ve tried this recipe with all bread flour and it’s fantastic. I’ve tried it with 2 cups white whole wheat flour and 1 cup bread flour and it’s ok, but not great It doesn’t rise as much and it’s much denser. I personally think the best ratio is 2 cups bread flour and 1 cup white whole wheat flour.
Enjoy with some peanut butter or make yourself a sandwich!
Do you bake your own bread?!
Do you have a favorite recipe?
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!