As usual, I’m so behind on my internship rotation recaps. I know I’ve been finished with my internship for a couple of weeks now, but I wanted to write a quick recap of my last rotation since I recapped all of the others…and because I loved it so much!
I spent final four weeks of my internship at the Central Ohio Diabetes Association. My preceptor Jenny was amazing. She wears a lot of hats at CODA, including teaching some of their Diabetes Self Management Education Classes and coordinating everything for the summer camp they run for kids with diabetes.
My internship director actually set this rotation up just for me because she knew about my blog and my love for social media and CODA was looking for some help in that area. It seriously couldn’t have been a more perfect last rotation. I was able to use my social media skills to do things like set up a Pinterest account for them and also do some creative projects that I came up with on my own.
Here’s a list of some of the stuff I did while I was there:
- Attended several webinars about diabetes management.
- Attended multiple Diabetes Self Management Education classes taught by various educators.
- Attended a meeting with a Molina rep regarding partnerships for community health education.
- Created a Pinterest account for CODA with multiple boards for various topics like recipes, diabetes education, etc.
- Met with multiple CODA employees to discuss social media strategies and ways to increase social media presence.
- Created a printable resource for CODA clients with recipe ideas based on My Plate.
- Created a pocket guide for DSMES clients with 15g carb equivalents & portion sizes. (This was totally my idea and I was SO excited with how it turned out. You can see the final product in the pic at the top of this post!)
- Opened, sorted, organized and reviewed Camp Hamwi applications.
Overall, it was a great experience and a great chance for me to see some of the things that a community RD does. It was also a great example of how awesome my internship was overall. They really worked with you to find rotations and placements that fit your interests.
And now it’s back to studying! If all goes according to plan, I’ll be an RD by the end of the month!
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!