Make with whole wheat flour and yogurt, this flatbread makes the perfect dinner side dish!
Time for another recipe. This Whole Wheat Flatbread actually came about when I was trying to make some Whole Wheat Naan. I looked at this recipe from Tasty Kitchen and made a few adjustments…and mine came out less naan-like and more flatbread-like, so that’s what I went with for the name.
Here’s how you make them!
Whole Wheat Flatbread
An easy, homemade flatbread that makes a great base for pizza or side dish for stews and curries!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Melted butter for brushing
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine all ingredients and use the dough hook to mix just until a rough ball has formed. Dough should be very soft.
- Let rest 1 hour.
- Knead by hand or using the mixer for about 3 minutes, then divide dough into 6-8 balls.
- Roll each ball into an oval that's about ¼ inch thick
- Spread melted butter on one side and place butter side up in hot pan.
- Cover pan with lid for 30-45 seconds until bubbles start to form.
- Remove lid, flip over and cook 30-45 seconds more.
Aren’t they pretty?!
Even though it’s not quite naan, it’d still be good with things like curry! It’s also great with nut butter.
And it makes a great pizza crust! Perfect for personal-sized pizzas. Like this one that I topped with hummus, guac, chicken and cheese.
Any way you use them…they’re delicious!
One word of caution. These are best eaten right after making or within a day or so. Since they’re brushed with butter, if you’re going to keep them longer, I’d probably keep them in the fridge and reheat them before eating as opposed to keeping them in the pantry.