This Lentil Vegetable Curry is an easy vegetarian recipe for a busy night. Or make it ahead of time and reheat for a quick lunch or dinner.
**This post was originally published in 2012. I updated the photos and recipe in August 2016**
Today I’m sharing one of my go-to meals. Everyone has them. The ones you make so often you could pretty much do it in your sleep. The ones that are quick, relatively healthy, quick, enjoyed by the whole family, quick….for those nights you just don’t feel like cooking.
I know I have several. And a lot of them aren’t on this blog because, quite frankly, I don’t follow a recipe. I use what I have on hand, I don’t measure things, and the beauty of these “recipes” are that they’re still delicious every single time.
But, in an effort to help you guys…because I know many of you are searching for quick, easy meals…I’ve decided to start paying more attention when I make these meals. Maybe snapping a few pictures and taking a few measurements….so that I can share them with all of you!
Today’s recipe is one of our all-time favs. I make it pretty much once a week. It’s great for packing in a lot of vegetables and it’s also a great recipe for using lentils because they totally absorb the curry flavor and you really don’t even notice that they’re in the dish.
I love making a big batch so we have leftovers for lunch or dinner the next day. I buy my frozen naan from Trader Joes’s and it is absolutely delish!
Side note- The reason I microwave the potatoes is because they take so much longer to cook than all the other vegetables. Nuking them for a minute or so gives them a head start so they end up being the perfectly cooked by the time the other veggies are ready. If you don’t want to microwave them, you can just add them to the dutch oven first and saute them for a while before adding the other veggies.
All in all, this dinner can be ready in under 30 minutes and it’s a winner every time! If you’re a meat-eater, feel free to sub chicken for the lentils. I also make this with chickpeas sometimes.
My Go-To Meals: Lentil & Vegetable Curry
This Lentil Vegetable Curry is an easy vegetarian recipe that's perfect for a busy weeknight. Or make it ahead of time and reheat for a quick lunch or dinner!
- 2/3 cup green or brown lentils, uncooked
- 3/4 cup brown or basmati rice, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1.5 cups (small) diced potatoes
- 1 cup diced red peppers
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 Tbsp red curry paste (hot or mild)
- 2-3 dried red peppers, minced (optional)
- 1 can coconut milk
- Naan (optional)
- Cook lentils according to package directions.
- Cook rice according to package directions (or use 90-second microwave rice)
- Microwave diced potatoes for 1 minute to soften.
- In a large dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Saute potatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, mixed vegetables curry paste and hot peppers for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and cook another 10 minutes or until vegetables reach desired tenderness.
- Stir in lentils, heat through and serve with rice and naan.