As promised, things are back on schedule today! I was going to write my FNCE recap but I ended up spending most of the day yesterday playing catchup- on sleep, on emails, on hubby time. This upcoming weekend will be the first weekend in a month that hubby and I have both been at home together. I can’t wait! Anyways, I whipped up the tasty little bites pictured above for dinner last night and just HAD to share them today!
One of the things I miss most when I’m traveling is cooking my own food. I’m a sucker for being in control so I can only tolerate eating out so many times before I get a little stressed out. So, even though I hadn’t been grocery shopping, I headed straight to the kitchen last night to see what I could come up with. The end result was delicious and that’s good news for me because it means that all of the ingredients are things that I almost always have on hand, no matter whether I’ve just gone grocery shopping or haven’t gone for a few weeks.
Mexican Quinoa Bites
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Keywords: bake stovetop appetizer entree side healthy vegetarian avocado black beans egg vegetables
Ingredients (24 bites)
- 1/2 c quinoa, uncooked
- 1 c black beans, cooked
- 1/4 c avocado, smashed
- 1 egg
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 c corn kernals, cooked
- 1/2 c onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 c ground pepitas (or breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 c low-fat mexican shredded cheese
1. Rinse quinoa and cook according to package directions.
2. Combine beans, avocado, peppers, corn and onion in a small bowl and mix well.
3. Add spices and stir to combine.
4. Add cooked quinoa (cooled slightly), egg and ground pepitas and mix well.
5. Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray and spoon in quinoa mixture.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 min in pan.
8. Gently remove from pan and serve with bbq sauce or salsa.
Aren’t they cute? I’m love bite-sized foods. These would make a great party appetizer, tailgate snack or dinner entree!
I dipped mine in bbq sauce,
hubby topped his with sriracha.
Next time I might try mixing the bbq sauce in before baking!
Bite-size or full-size?
What’s your favorite appetizer?