As promised, things are back on schedule today! I was going to write my FNCE recap but I ended up spending most of the day yesterday playing catchup- on sleep, on emails, on hubby time. This upcoming weekend will be the first weekend in a month that hubby and I have both been at home together. I can’t wait! Anyways, I whipped up the tasty little bites pictured above for dinner last night and just HAD to share them today!
One of the things I miss most when I’m traveling is cooking my own food. I’m a sucker for being in control so I can only tolerate eating out so many times before I get a little stressed out. So, even though I hadn’t been grocery shopping, I headed straight to the kitchen last night to see what I could come up with. The end result was delicious and that’s good news for me because it means that all of the ingredients are things that I almost always have on hand, no matter whether I’ve just gone grocery shopping or haven’t gone for a few weeks.Print
Mexican Quinoa Bites
Throw your taste buds a miniature fiesta with these easy Mexican bites.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 24
- 1/2 c quinoa, uncooked
- 1 c black beans, cooked
- 1/4 c avocado, smashed
- 1 egg
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 c corn kernals, cooked
- 1/2 c onion, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/3 c ground pepitas (or breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 c low-fat mexican shredded cheese
- Rinse quinoa and cook according to package directions.
- Combine beans, avocado, peppers, corn and onion in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add spices and stir to combine.
- Add cooked quinoa (cooled slightly), egg and ground pepitas and mix well.
- Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray and spoon in quinoa mixture.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool 5-10 min in pan.
- Gently remove from pan and serve with bbq sauce or salsa.
Aren’t they cute? I’m love bite-sized foods. These would make a great party appetizer, tailgate snack or dinner entree!
I dipped mine in bbq sauce,
hubby topped his with sriracha.
Next time I might try mixing the bbq sauce in before baking!
Bite-size or full-size?
What’s your favorite appetizer?