I’ve got a good one for you tonight, my friends! As you may know, I have a plethora of sweet potatoes in my pantry right now. I also have a large stock of frozen black beans in the freezer. The two go well together, as they did in our dinner tonight. I was originally inspired by these sweet potato enchiladas but they just weren’t quite what I was in the mood for…so I did my own thing. Here’s who to do it my way:
First, dice up a sweet potato (skin on please!), season it with curry powder and red pepper, and throw it in the oven to roast at 425 degrees for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. I used about 3/4 tsp curry powder and 1/4 tsp red pepper.
Meanwhile, add a little olive oil to a pan and saute 1/4 c onion. If your black beans are frozen, add them at the beginning so they can thaw. If they’re not, add them after a few minutes.
When the potatoes are roasted to your satisfaction, remove them from the oven and add them to the bean and onion mixture.
Portion into whole wheat tortillas and top with diced tomato and a sprinkle of low-fat Mexican cheese. You could also add other toppings like ground meat, salsa or spinach!
Curried Sweet Potato & Black Bean Tacos
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Keywords: roast saute entree healthy vegetarian black beans tomato sweet potato Mexican
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 1 large sweet potato, diced
- 3/4 tsp curry powder, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 c black beans
- 1/4 c onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 4 whole wheat tortillas
- low-fat Mexican cheese
1. Dice sweet potato, with skin on, and mist with olive oil. Sprinkle spices and stir to coat.
2. Roast at 425 degrees F for 20-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
3. Saute the onion in a pan over medium heat, adding the black beans at the beginning if frozen and at the end if not.
4. Add the sweet potato to the bean and onion mixture.
5. Portion on to tortillas and top with tomatoes and cheese.