This Vegan Red Lentil Curry is the perfect vegetarian dinner recipe. It’s spicy, full of flavor and easy to customize with your favorite vegetables!
I’ve been making this spicy vegan red lentil curry recipe on repeat lately and I’m excited to share it with you! Curry is definitely one of my go-to quick meals when I don’t feel like cooking, especially vegetarian versions because they come together so quickly. I always have cooked lentils and a bag of frozen vegetables in the freezer for this Lentil Vegetable Curry. I’m also a big fan of these Shrimp Curry Noodle Bowls.
In today’s version, I use red lentils because they cook super quickly and the whole meal comes together in under 20 minutes.
Vegan Red Lentil Curry
Let’s talk about the ingredients:
- Garlic, ginger, onion and jalapeno – Saute these aromatics first to add depth and flavor. Minced fresh ginger is best for this recipe. For a less spicy version, leave out the jalapeno or kick it up even more with a serrano pepper instead.
- Red curry paste, curry powder & turmeric – Adding even more flavor. I use hot curry paste but you could use mild.
- Vegetables– a bag of frozen vegetables is the easiest option. I usually use a bag of frozen peas and carrots and then add some chopped cauliflower but you can use whatever combination of veggies you like – just make sure to chop them to a similar size.
- Red lentils – A quick-cooking protein option
- Broth and coconut milk – to help cook the lentils right in the pot.
- Spinach and lime juice – to stir in at the end!
Vegan Red Lentil Curry Recipe
Here’s the exact recipe:Print
Vegan Red Lentil Curry
This Vegan Red Lentil Curry recipe is the perfect vegetarian dinner. Spicy, flavorful and easy to customize with your favorite vegetables.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: serves 4
1 Tbsp oil
1/2 cup onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, minced (optional)
1–2 tsp minced fresh ginger (skin removed)
2 Tbsp red curry paste (i use hot but you can use mild)
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric
3–4 cups chopped vegetables, fresh or frozen (i use 2 cups frozen peas and carrots + chopped fresh cauliflower.)
1 cup red lentils, dry
2 cups vegetable broth
1 can coconut milk
2 handfuls fresh baby spinach, optional
juice from half a lime
pinch of salt, optional
- In a large pot/dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, ginger and jalapeno and saute 1 minute.
- Add curry paste, curry powder, turmeric and vegetables and saute 3-5 minutes.
- Add red lentils, broth and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and simmer, stirring occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Stir in fresh spinach and lime juice. Taste and add a pinch of salt if desired.
Serve with rice!
Feel free to add cooked shrimp or chicken if desired.
This meal comes together quickly and the lentils will cook right in the pot!
Let me know if you try this recipe!
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!