Well, I must say. You guys like your grilled cheese! I posted this photo in instagram yesterday and I think it’s one of my most “liked” photos ever! So, I thought I’d pop in and share the recipe!! It would make the perfect Meatless Monday lunch for next week!
Grilled cheese is one of my favorite things…and this is like a pumped up, super flavorful version! I can’t believe I’ve never thought of it before! You can find the original recipe over on Organic Valley’s website. I made just a few minor adjustments including using a little less oil in the pesto and leaving out the chilis.
Here’s what I did:Print
Grilled Cheese With Pesto and Black Bean Spread
A simple, delicious grilled cheese sandwich that’s packed with flavor & some extra fiber!
- 1â4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1â4 cup Organic Valley Grated Parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (or 4–5 cups loosely packed)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1â2 teaspoon salt
- 1â2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1â4 cup olive oil
- 1 pint black beans (drained)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- water as needed
- 2 sourdough bread slices
- 2–4 tablespoons pesto
- 2–4 tablespoons black bean spread
- 1–2 Organic Valley American Cheese Singles
- 2 teaspoons Organic Valley Cultured Butter
- In a food processor combine the pumpkin seeds, parmesan, and garlic. Process for 15 seconds. Add the cilantro, salt, pepper and lemon juice. With the processor running, slowly add the olive oil until the pesto is fully pureed.
- Combine the black beans, lime juice and cumin in a bowl. Smash into a paste.
- Spread pesto on the inside of one slice of bread and top with cheese. Spread black bean spread on the inside of the other slice and place bean-side down on top of the other slice. Spread butter on the outsides of the bread and grill sandwich in skillet until browned on both sides and cheese is melted. Cut and serve immediately.
This would be delicious with a bowl of hot soup on a cold day. If you’re a meat lover, try adding some grilled chicken!
Are you a traditional grilled cheese lover or do you add extra “stuff” to yours?
Disclosure: I was sent on Organic Valley coupon to purchase the cheese used in this recipe. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!