It’s been a few weeks since I shared my workouts with you guys so let’s play catchup, shall we? This recaps my workouts during weeks 13ish-17ish of pregnancy.
1. Long weekend stroll with the pups in the sunshine.
2. Karen- I have a love/hate relationship with Karen. Finished in 7:55 Rx, which is actually only about 30 seconds slower than my last PR so I was pretty happy with that!
3. EMOTM snatches – then 9:55 for the #wod – I did knees to chest instead of toes to bar, 55# thrusters and used a red band for ring dips.
4. Front rack walking lunges with 65# & pistols…then 6 rounds +2 reps for the #wod – I did chest to bar pullups instead of muscleups (started with 4 c2b and adding one rep each round), 35# kb, step ups instead of box jumps and 55# shoulder to overhead (push press).
1. 18 min alternating EMOTM pull-ups & overhead squats… Then The Chief. I used 65# instead of 95# and got 4+9, 4+3, 4+3, 4+3, 4+7
2. Holy legs! 12:26 with 55# and stepups
3. I take the boys on a walk pretty much every afternoon.
4. 10 rounds with a 35# kettlebell. I think the class was doing handstand pushups but I subbed goblet squats for those.
1. Did this one by myself and it was a rough one. I used a 30#db (Rx was 35#) and a 14# wall ball.
2. I did 65# clean and jerks instead of 75# and subbed pull-ups for TTB because TTB are uncomfortable for me. 78 reps
3. Made it to my first Saturday morning class in months! Start each round where you ended the last one. I did push-ups instead of knees to elbow and finished just over 8 rounds.
1. Doubles all day. 8:45 with 65#.
2. First time doing Helen in a year. PR’d my time by 90 seconds!! 12:05 Rx then, 10:26 Rx this time!
3. This week has been full of rainy nights and sunny days so thy boys and I have still been able to get our walks!
4. Yesterday’s wod.
Overall, working out is going well. As you can see, I’m still doing pretty much everything…just with lighter weights. A few things I’m not doing – handstand pushups – but I didn’t do those before because they hurt my neck, toes to bar – i technically could still be doing these, I just find them to be very uncomfortable so I’m not doing them, situps or anything on the GHD, bench press or anything that involves me lying flat on my back.
Some days I struggle with using lighter weights. I’m a competitive person and when I see the Rx weights on the board, I want to do them. I miss setting strength PRs and sometimes using 65# feels like such a joke. But I know it’s not forever and it’s what’s best for me right now. Other days, I’m so tired and I can definitely tell I’ve lost some of my strength. I’ll try to do something with 65# and it just feels so darn heavy, so I’ll go down to 55#. It varies day to day and I just take it one day at a time depending on how I feel. If the class is doing a movement I can’t do, I just sub in something else. I’m definitely still working up a sweat and getting in great workouts, but I’m also taking more breaks, making sure my breathing doesn’t get out of control, drinking more water, etc.
Mostly I’m just thankful that I feel well enough to workout and that I’m able to workout when I want to. In the first trimester I focused on getting to crossfit 3 days a week and I absolutely needed a rest day between each workout. I wasn’t eating all that much because I was so nauseous and the foods I was eating weren’t the best for recovery. I could definitely tell that my muscles were not recovering the way they used to.
Now that I’m well into the second trimester and my nausea is FINALLY starting to lessen, I’m eating more and can definitely tell I have more energy. I’ve even felt good enough to go crossfit 2 days in a row a couple of weeks, but I can definitely tell by day 3 that I need to rest….so my goal is still to crossfit 3-4 days per week and then I walk the dogs about 2 miles per day.
So far that routine is working well for me, so I’m sticking to it! Other things that will change as the belly starts to grow- I’ll probably start doing straight-arm burpees within the next couple of weeks so my belly isn’t hitting the ground, and when it becomes necessary, I’ll start doing my pushups with my hands on plates to give the belly a little more room. However, right now, it’s not really sticking out all that far so there aren’t a ton of things I need to modify at this point.
I think that’s all for today!
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!