Here we are again, another Friday! And just like that, I have two more weeks of workouts to catch you up on. When we left off, I had just completed the first workout of the Crossfit Open- workout 13.1 and I told you I was thinking about trying it again over the weekend to see if I could improve my score. Well, I tried it again. However, I didn’t exactly improve my score. Let’s recap:
We went to open gym and I worked on those 75# snatches again. Here’s the thing…I can do them when I’m not super tired. See below:
However, after doing 70 burpees and 30 snatches at 45 pounds, I have a lot of trouble with them. Turns out I also have a lot of trouble with them when I do about 100 practice reps on Saturday and then try to repeat the workout on Sunday. Whoops! On the bright side, I got my first rope climb at open gym as well. Super proud of myself! After open gym we watched our coaches do 13.1. Our coach Heather is just so awesome to watch!
It also just so happend to be a gorgeous day so we took the boys for a nice long walk:
I retried 13.1. As a reminder, here’s what the workout was:
Here’s what happened. I improved my splits. I did both sets of burpees and the first set of snatches about a minute and a half faster than I did the first time. However, I was too tired from all the practicing I did on Saturday and I could only get 2 reps at 75# instead of the 7 I got the first time…so I just stuck with my original score. Oh well. Can’t win ’em all! This is how I felt afterwards- totally exhausted and ready for a nap with Marcus:
As for the rest of the week?
1. Monday: Because of my schedule, I had to go in and do this one by myself. It looks innocent but it was rough. Took me 15 minutes and I almost quit like 5 times.
2. Tuesday: We did back squats for strength and then did the wod. I finished all but the very last ten double unders before we hit the 15 minute cap. Squat snatch is a ridiculously hard movement and I was using more weight than I should have been. Not a dangerous amount…I just should have gone lighter and focused on form until I really get the hang of it. Lesson learned.
3. Wednesday: This one killed me. Two five minute AMRAPs sounds innocent. It was not. First one I got 4 +2, second one I got 3+5.
4. Thursday: Change of plans at our box. The open workouts are announced Wednesday night. Instead of doing them Thursday, we decided to use Thursdays as a walk-through…so we practice all the skills at are in the open WOD and do a quick run-through before doing the real thing. The second workout of the Open – 13.2, was right up my alley. i LOVE box jumps and that’s light weight for a deadlift for me. The only thing I was worried about was the shoulder to overhead because 75# is heavy for me. The actual WOD was 10 minutes. On Thursday we did it for 3 minutes just to get a sense and I got 2+24 and felt pretty good about it.
Friday: Rest day. There was a lot of talk about whether to do box jumps or step ups, which was better/faster/etc. in the Crossfit world. For me, since I’m tall and the box is only 20 inches (relatively short), it’s actually really easy for me to just step up and step down, especially when my legs are tired…so I had that to consider.
We tackled 13.2. I decided I would do box jumps until they started slowing me down because I got tired and then switch to jump up, step down and then eventually switch to step up/step down just so I could keep moving.
That’s me trying not to die after I finished it. My goal was 210 reps (7 full rounds). I got 230 reps! I was proud of myself. I really struggled with the very last shoulder to overhead I did and had to try 3 times to get it up, which cost me time…otherwise I think I could have finished that 8th round. I also hit myself in the teeth with the bar as I was moving from shoulder to overhead to deadlift. It hurt like crazy and I spent most of the workout hoping I didn’t chip a tooth!
Afterwards, we watched the coaches and trainers do 13.2 and then had a little cookout. It was fun! Note the awesome photobomb on the rings in the pic on the bottom left and the sexy crossfit hands on the bottom right 🙂
Sunday: Most definitely a rest day 🙂
As for this week:
1. Monday: Loved this workout! Finished in 6:59 Rx. We did back squats for strength- 5 sets of 5 working up in weight. I did my last set of 5 at 130 pounds! woot woot!
2. Tuesday: Ugh, Grace. Not my favorite. Our coach wanted us to focus on speed so I did 65 pounds and finished in 2:50. I felt pretty go so i’ll try 75 or 80 pounds next time. For strength we did bench press and I did 5 at 75# which is a PR!
3. Wednesday: Worst day at crossfit in a while. I’ve been exhausted this week. We did squat cleans for strength, which were heavy. Then we did this workout. It was hands down my least favorite crossfit workout i’ve ever done. But i survived. And now it’s over!
4. Thursday: Workout 13.3 was announced Wednesday night. It’s actually a repeat of one of the workouts from last year. 150 wall balls, 90 double unders, 30 muscleups. As many reps as possible in 12 minutes. I’ve done this workout before. Well, part of it. I’m nowhere even close to being able to do a muscleup so I just don’t worry about those. I have, however, done the 150 wallballs and 90 double unders and finished in exactly 12 minutes. So, my goal is to finish that part of the workout in 11 minutes. Hubby and I were both tired so we decided to rest Thursday and Friday and tackle it Saturday morning! I settled for taking the boys on a nice walk Thursday night.
I’ll let you guys know how 13.3 goes on Saturday!
How have your workouts been lately?!