It’s Monday…. Don’t you hate how an especially great weekend makes coming back to reality just that much harder? Well, have no fear. I have something for you that might ease the pain.
I know, I know, I told you I don’t like caramel. But I think I may be changing my mind. I started thinking about these as soon as I got this in the mail (free sample- all thoughts and opinions are my own):
I knew the apple cinnamon would be perfect for baking. Confession- I made these 3 times over the weekend trying to get them just right.
The first time, the taste was spot on but they were a little crumbly. The second time they were more bar like, but not sweet enough. Now they’re delicious.
Caramel Apple Bars
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- ¼ c nut butter
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1– 6oz container of Apple Cinnamon greek yogurt, or vanilla yogurt
- ¼ c brown rice syrup, or honey
- 1 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 c oats
- scant 1/2 c white whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup chopped apples
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- 20 caramels + splash of milk
- 8 x 8 Pan
- In a medium sized bowl melt the butter and nut butter and mix well.
- Add the greek yogurt, egg, brown rice syrup, applesauce and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, oats, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add the apples and mix well.
- Line an 8×8 pan with foil and grease well.
- Spoon the mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- Melt the caramels in the microwave and pour on top of the apple mixture.
- Top with chopped pecans.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Let cool completely before cutting.
I highly recommend nuking these in the microwave before eating them!
Some other options for you:
If you really like caramel, you could melt some extra caramels and mix them into the batter.
If you’re a chocolate fan you could throw some chocolate chips into the mix or add them on top.
I used almond butter but peanut butter would work well too.
You could also top them with peanuts instead of pecans.
Hubby suggests adding a layer of apple slices to the bottom to ensure you get apples in every bite! Or even a layer of apple and caramel to the middle. Isn’t he a genius?
And finally, I didn’t have any in the freezer but I bet these would be amazing topped with some vanilla ice cream!
So dig in! Happy Monday friends 🙂