Quick post today. Just popping in with a little cleaning reminder for you. As spring approaches an we get ready for our big once a year purges for spring cleaning, it’s also important remember some of the smaller things that we should be cleaning quite frequently….probably much more often than we are currently (at least if you’re anything like me!)
Some of these are obvious…but some are things I never really think about and as such, rarely clean!
Here’s my list:
1) Contact Case – Don’t reuse your solution. Empty the case each time you put your contacts in and refill with fresh solution when taking them out. You can also rinse the case with solution and wipe dry between uses. Replace your case every 3 months or so. Read this article for more info.
2) Phone – We’re on our phones all the time, making them one of our dirtiest accessories. Wipe them clean with a disinfectant wipe or use cotton swabs with rubbing alcohol to clean around buttons, phone cases, etc.
3) Trashcan – You’re putting trash into it…and it doesn’t all always make it into the bag. Germs can spill over the side, splash onto the lid, etc. Wipe it clean every time you take out the trash!
4) Keyboard – Americans spend hours and hours on their computers, often wearing away the letters on our keyboards from such frequent use. We also tend to eat near our keyboards. As a result, they collect dirt and germs at an alarming rate. Wipe clean as often as possible.
5) Loofah – This is more of a reminder to replace frequently. Aim to replace them every month or two otherwise they’re probably doing nothing but spreading germs around your body instead of helping you clean.
6) Coffeemaker – It’s a damp environment that can breed bacteria. Follow these steps once a month to clean.
7) Sheets – You sleep on them, you sweat on them, your animals sleep on them…they get gross and they get gross quickly. Wash them weekly!
8) Knobs, handles & light switches – The handles to the fridge/oven/microwave/faucet, cabinet knobs and handles, door knobs, light switches…they’re all touched multiple times per day and often when our hands are not the cleanest. Wipe with a disinfectant cloth to remove the germs and the dirt and grime.
9) Remote – We handle them everyday but rarely clean them. Use a disinfectant wipe or put some rubbing alcohol on a q tip and clean around the buttons. Same thing goes for xbox controllers, etc.
10) Laundry baskets – You put your dirty, sweaty clothes in them. They collect germs. And then sometimes you turn around and put clean clothes back in them. Designate some baskets for clean and some for dirty. Wipe the dirty ones out regularly with disinfectant wipes if they’re plastic or try washing them if they’re mesh!
11) Reusable Water Bottle – Clean it at least once a week (every few days is better) by running it through the dishwasher or cleaning with hot soapy water.
12) Towels & bathmats – Even though you use them when you’re clean, they still get wet, stay damp and collect germs. Try to wash them once a week.
There are MANY other things that we should be cleaning more often…these are just a few to get you started.
Check out these articles for more ideas:
15 Things To Clean More Often
10 Things In Your Home You Should Clean More Often
21 Germiest Places You’re Not Cleaning
Get my top 3 tips!
Plus quick, healthy recipe ideas right to your inbox every week!