This recipe for Skillet Chicken and Dumplings makes an easy weeknight dinner. Ready in 30 minutes, it’s healthy comfort food packed with protein and vegetables!
Just popping in with another quick and easy dinner idea for you! This is kinda like chicken pot pie, without the hassle of the pie part. Also, I debated calling this Chicken and Biscuits because the dumplings are a bit more biscuit-like in my opinion….but either way, they’re delicious. The dumplings cook right in the skillet so you don’t even have to worry about turning on the oven.
Basically, this is comfort food made easy. You just plop everything in a pan and let it simmer for a while. You can handle that, right? For my version, I made homemade dumplings. They’re fairly simple, but if you’re looking for a shortcut you could make an even easier version using something like Bisquick!
So here’s how you make it:
That’s all there is to it! Feel free to add some cayenne pepper or extra spices if you desire! I didn’t have a lid for my cast iron skillet so I just laid a large baking sheet across the top of it!
Skillet Chicken and Dumplings
This recipe for Skillet Chicken and Dumplings makes an easy weeknight dinner. Ready in 30 minutes, it's healthy comfort food packed with protein and vegetables!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1.5 pounds chicken, diced
- 1.5 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp flour, divided
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup + 1/2 cup milk, divided (i used 2%)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, chicken, vegetables, 1 Tbsp flour and seasonings.
- Saute over medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add broth and 1 cup milk and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, combine 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 egg and 1/2 tsp salt in a bowl and stir until just combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons into simmering chicken mixture. (You should get 12-14 dumplings)
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover skillet and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
- Taste, adjust seasonings as desired and serve.