I’m back with another recipe to share with you guys! This one is a real winner. It’s packed with protein, easy to make and perfect for football season! I made it for hubby and I to eat at half-time over the weekend during the OSU vs. Michigan game. Also, please note that I made an entire pan even though it’s just the two of us. Hello leftovers
So let’s talk about the layers in this dip. The first layer is beans. I added a protein punch to the beans by adding cottage cheese! You don’t taste it or see it because it’s pureed into the beans. The next layer is quinoa. I always seem to have extra quinoa sitting around in the fridge. It’s great in mexican dishes…and a great protein source…so why not?! Next is a layer of bell peppers and cheese. No explanation needed. Both delicious. Final layer is salsa. I used our favorite store-bought fresh salsa. If your salsa is liquidy like mine, you may want to drain it a bit before adding. After you repeat all those layers again, you stick it in the oven to bake. Then you top it with guacamole (which i add plain greek yogurt to for even more protein), green onions and hot sauce and dig in!
- For the Beans
- 2 cups black beans
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup reduced fat cottage cheese
- ¼ c water
- For the Guac
- 2 avocados, mashed
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ c onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- ¼ c plain Chobani greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, minced
- Other ingredients
- 1 c quinoa, cooked
- ½ c reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c salsa
- chopped green onions
- hot sauce
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients for the beans and process until desired consistency is reached. Add more water if necessary.
- Spread half the bean mixture on the bottom of the pan.
- Top with ½ c cooked quinoa.
- Add ½ the red pepper and ¼ c cheese.
- Top with ½ c salsa, drained if watery.
- Repeat layers one more time.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 min.
- Remove from oven, top with guacamole, onions and hot sauce.
- Serve warm with tortilla chips for scooping.
Can you handle that? I sure hope so…because you MUST try this dip! If you don’t have a 7 x 12 pan, because really- who does? Except for me…This would probably work just as well in a 9 x 9 pan.
Happy layering, friends!
Who’s coming over to help me eat this?!