Last week, I went in to visit my old boss and coworkers. It has come to be expected that when I do this, I bring some sort of treat with me 🙂 After perusing my collection of bookmarked recipes, I settled on this Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake from Jamie at My Baking Adddiciton.
It was super easy to make. I didn’t have blueberry preserves so I used frozen blackberries. Here’s the recipe I used:
Lemon Blackberry Coffee Cake
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Keywords: bake breakfast healthy fruit summer
Ingredients (8×8 pan)
For the Coffee Cake
- zest of one lemon
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 – 1 1/2 c fresh or frozen blackberries (or other berry)
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and spray an 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, combine the sugar and the lemon zest. Rub it together between your fingers for a few minutes, then add the flour and baking powder to the sugar and stir until combined. Add the melted butter, egg, milk and vanilla and stir again.
3. Scoop half of batter into the pan and spread it evenly over the bottom. Add the berries. Top with remaining batter.
4. In another bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar and butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over top of the batter.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes.
Yes I ate the crumbs with a spatula 🙂
Sorry for the poor pictures….I was in a hurry to bring it in while it was still warm. You’ll just have to trust me that it was a big hit. I’ve already had someone ask me for the recipe and I brought the hubby a plate of 6 pieces to share….and he ate 5 of them himself 🙂
I made this a second time with fresh strawberries and subbed white whole wheat flour and it wasn’t quite as good. Just sayin….AP is the way to go on this one.
Get my free Table Talk email series where I share bite-sized nutrition information about carbs, protein, and fat, plus bonus information about snacks and sugar!
I love that we both share a fondness of lemon-flavored desserts. I will always choose lemon over chocolate, though I’m not sure how you feel about that! I agree with ww pastry flour vs. AP – when I use ww, I always feel like the recipe is just a little “off”. More and more I feel like just eating the “real thing” when it comes to desserts.
Mmmm the crust looks so good and sugary! Yumm!
Yum, this looks so perfect to bring to a brunch! I’m so excited for berries to be in season!
Donna @ Love, Run & Travel says
I just want to reach in my screen and eat this and good to know not to sub with ww flour, i totally would have tried that 🙂
Mindy @ Clueless Nut says
My kind of recipe – easy and simple 🙂 I will keep this in mind when I need a baking recipe! Sounds delicious!