Need a little Sunday food prep inspiration?
Like I mentioned a few times this week, I didn’t get around to food prep last weekend. I was enjoying time with my parents and then recovering from a whirlwind weekend after they left. Here’s how we made it work for the week:
- Sunday we ate leftovers from our Saturday night dinner- we had a cookout with my parents over at my in-laws. It was fun to get everyone together. Hubby grilled steaks for his parents and my mom, and bbq chicken for my dad and I.
- Monday I made Pineapple Chicken with Bok Choy using 2 of the extra chicken breasts that we didn’t grill (we bought a large pack of chicken at Costco while we were getting the steaks there…but only cooked 2 chicken breasts on Saturday).
- Tuesday we treated ourselves to Chipotle after a late night of choosing paint colors for the nursery.
- Wednesday I made a lasagna with some ground beef that I pulled out of the freezer on Monday morning. We stopped at the store to get beer for hubby on Tuesday night, so I grabbed a carton of ricotta cheese which was the only thing I didn’t have on hand + a head of lettuce for salad. I used the beef and veggies from the freezer and tomatoes/onions/garlic/noodles from the pantry.
- Thursday I made chicken nuggets with the last two chicken breasts and some panko breadcrumbs and served them with a side of mac and cheese and some beans/salad.
- Friday is our typical out to dinner night.
- Saturday– grocery shopping day!
- For lunches we scrounged around and used up what was still in the fridge- egg sandwiches, pb&j with cottage cheese, leftovers from dinner Monday, a quick tuna salad using a couple cans of tuna, some leftover guac from Chipotle and some salsa from the fridge and at it with chips, etc.
So, hopefully I’ll be back on track with the food prep today but for now, here’s what some of you were up to last weekend:
Meredith at The Cookie ChRUNicles –
- Washed and chopped fresh broccoli, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts
- Diced up a giant watermelon to easily have ready for snacks
- I always cook a pot of oatmeal in order to have individual bowls ready to eat throughout the week. I vary the oat combination each week to keep things interesting. This pot was steel-cut oats mixed with old-fashioned rolled oats, oat bran, chia seeds and blueberries.
- Oat bran breaded and baked chicken cutlets to use a variety of ways for my son during week; as chicken fingers with dipping sauce, baked with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese or eaten cold in a salad.
- Rather than cook my own brown rice, I make sure my freezer is prepared with individual servings of Trader Joe’s Rice Medley which heats up in three minutes and leftovers easily store in the refrigerator!
- A batch of whole-grain morning glory muffins, for breakfasts and to share at work
- A few deviled eggs, to include for protein in lunches as a change of pace from regular hard-boiled
- A jar of banana jam, to use up a pair of bananas that were getting overripe. I actually ended up giving the jar away to a friend who visited for dinner. Share the goodness!
- A huge bowl of cubed watermelon, for snacking and packing with lunch
- Two containers of pressure-cooked black beans to freeze for upcoming dinners. There was a third, but we ate it before taking the photo.
- A gluten-free asparagus/feta quiche with polenta crust. Yum! We ate this for dinner one night with a big green salad, and then I packed slices in my lunch the rest of the week.
- A bag of washed spinach ready to go for salads.
Heather at Fit Mama Real Food:
- blueberry chia seed baked oatmeal (http://www.fitmamarealfood.
com/blueberry-chia-seed-baked- oatmeal-weekend-food-prep/) (mine + kiddo breakfasts)
- chopped veggies (sweet potato sticks, broccoli, carrots, onions, mushrooms) to use in dinners throughout the week
- steamed veggies for the kiddo (sweet potato, broccoli, carrot)
- boiled + peeled hard boiled eggs
- made + cooked beef/pork breakfast patties (for breakfasts + to use in a dinner)
- cooked Italian sausage (to use in a dinner)
Are you food prepping this weekend? Send me your pic! I’m out of submissions!
Here’s what I need from you:
Email me the following:
1. Your Name
2. Your Blog URL (if you have one)
3. A photo of your food prep
4. A short description of what’s in the photo. Tell me what you prepped and how you’re going to use it during the week!
Every Sunday, I’ll post a roundup of the photos I received that week so that you guys can see what others are preparing and hopefully get some inspiration and ideas! I’ll keep this series going for as long as I receive photos, so send one every week if you want to!
Send to: theleangreenbean <at> gmail <dot> com
Tweet and Instagram your pics as well to inspire others!! Use the hashtag #sundayfoodprep . Remember that in order for a pic to be included in the post, you have to email it to me! If you have more than one pic, please make them into a collage before sending!
Want more inspiration and tips? Read these:
And check out the Food Prep Tab for links to all the previous Sunday food prep posts!
Let’s chat: Are you prepping food today? Whatcha makin’?