These Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas are made with just 4 ingredients. They’re so easy to make and taste way better than store-bought! Perfect for healthy lunches and dinners.
**This post was originally published in July 2013. Photos were updated in October 2015**
Today I have a super simple recipe to share with you guys: Homemade 100% Whole Wheat Tortillas!
These have been on my to-make list for quite a while now. If you’ve been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I’m semi-obsessed with tortillas. I eat them all.the.time.
And even though I do my best to buy brands that are 100% whole wheat and low in sodium, it’s rare that I can find a brand with an ingredient list that satisfies me. Tortillas seem like a pretty simple thing to make right?
Well if you look at the ingredient list on many store-bought brands, you’ll likely see something like this:
Lots of unnecessary stuff. I always thought it would be pretty easy to make them at home but I had never gotten around to trying.
Until now. And guess what? They are SUPER easy to make and only require 4 ingredients! Win!Print
Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas
With only 4 ingredients, these tortillas do away with the store brand mystery ingredient list. Roll them up and enjoy with breakfast, lunch, or dinner!
- Prep Time: 30 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 c warm water
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, oil and salt.
- Slowly add the warm water while stirring until a rough dough comes together. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Turn the dough onto the counter and knead for about two minutes.
- Return to bowl and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal balls.
- Roll each ball into a circle (you want them to be pretty thin)
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and grease lightly.
- Drop one dough circle into the pan and let cook until bubbles form- about 1 minute.
- Flip over and cook another minute, pressing down with a spatula if needed. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Use immediately, store in an airtight container in the fridge or freeze.
Super easy. I used white whole wheat flour, but this should work with all purpose flour as well.These Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas are made with just 4 ingredients and are so easy to make!Click To Tweet
If your tortillas come out a little too hard, you probably rolled them too thin. Next time, leave the dough a little thicker when you roll them out. I store mine in a ziploc bag in the fridge.
Let’s chat: Do you make your own tortillas? Flour or corn?
I love making these tortillas as part of my weekly food prep sessions. If you liked this post, you’ll love my ebook – The Ultimate Guide To Food Prep. It dives into even more detail about how to food prep, troubleshoots common problems and provides tons of tips to make it easier! Click the image below for more details!