I have a soup recipe to share with you today. The title is a bit misleading because I actually didn’t use spicy sausage, I just made the soup spicy. However, you could use spicy sausage if you wanted to!
Spicy Sausage, Lentil & Kale Soup
This soup isn’t much to look at…but it tastes great! I made this at the request of Katie, who asked me a few weeks ago to come up with a recipe for sausage & lentil soup! I love making my readers happy, so I got to work. I made my version extra spicy & hubby and I both loved it!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 c carrots, chopped
- 1 c red peppers, chopped
- 1 c sweet potato, diced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 leek, diced
- 2 chicken sausages, sliced
- 2 c cooked lentils
- 4 c low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 3 cups chopped kale
- In a large pot, saute garlic, leeks, carrots, peppers and sweet potato over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the sausage, lentils, broth, tomatoes and spices.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until veggies reach desired tenderness (15-20 min).
- Stir in kale, let simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Use whatever veggies are your favorite if you don’t like the ones I used.
You could use spinach or any other leafy greens instead of kale.
Pretty simple, right? Like I mention in the notes, this soup is easy to customize. Use your favorite veggies or whatever you have on hand…Add some beans instead of lentils…you get the idea! I used spinach & mozzarella chicken sausages from Meijer but any kind of sausage should work.