So, something rather annoying happened over the weekend. My oven stopped working. I used it to make some naan to go with dinner, and then when I turned it back on two hours later to make some brownies, it wouldn’t heat up. The stove part still works fine, but the oven is definitely not ok.
I consider myself to be pretty creative in the kitchen, so it hasn’t become a major inconvenience yet, BUT I have another test coming up and we all know that when I get stressed, I bake. So….this problem is gonna need to resolve itself pretty quickly.
Meanwhile, I’ve still been whipping up some pretty tasty meals in the kitchen. As you may recall, we’ve had a surplus of guac this week so I LOVE guac on my burgers….so I decided to whip up some black bean burgers. I’m still working on finding a go-to bean burger recipe that sticks together really well. This one did a pretty good job, but still crumbled a little bit. I’ve gotten better about not trying to flip them too often and that helps a lot. I also like to bake them, but clearly that wasn’t an option this week.
I used these as an inspiration.
Spicy Black Bean Burgers w/ Goat Cheese
Keywords: pan sear burger entree healthy vegetarian black beans goat cheese
Ingredients (4-6 burgers)
- 2 c black beans, cooked
- 1/2 c oats
- 1/4 c pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 c carrots, grated
- 1/2 c mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 c onion, chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c goat cheese crumbles
1. Place the oats and pepitas in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
2. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the egg, goat cheese and 1/2 c black beans.
3. Pulse several times until well combined.
4. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and add remaining ingredients. Use your hands to mix everything together and form into patties.
5. Place patties in the freezer for 30 minutes.
6. Cook in a skillet, flipping twice.
While the burgers were in the freezer, I got to work on some baby potatoes. I roasted them in my cast iron skillet since I couldn’t use the oven.
And voila! Dinner is served.