These Lentil Sloppy Joes are a healthy vegetarian recipe that’s perfect for lunch or dinner. Serve over spaghetti squash to keep it gluten-free or on a bun!
Today I’ve got a nice little vegetarian recipe for you. Longtime readers may remember that I followed a vegetarian diet for a while a couple of years ago. Then I wrote this post about how my diet doesn’t need a label, and that mentality has been working well for me for the past three years. I tend to go through periods where I just don’t feel like eating meat…so I don’t. Then things change and i’m back on the chicken train.
Currently, I’m in a lentil-loving phase so I whipped up these lentil sloppy joes a couple weeks ago. They turned out so well that I remade them so I could share with you!
If you’re not a lentil lover, you could easily sub ground meat. You can serve these the traditional way – on a bun…or change things up like I did and serve them in a nice little spaghetti squash boat. Not sure how to cook that? Here are 3 ways to cook spaghetti squash. You could also cook it in your instant pot!
This recipe is very forgiving. Feel free to add some extra veggies or swap out ones you don’t like. If your mixture gets too thick, just add a little water to make them sloppier!
Here’s the recipe:
Lentil Sloppy Joes
These Lentil Sloppy Joes are a healthy vegetarian recipe that's perfect for lunch or dinner. Serve over spaghetti squash to keep it gluten-free or on a bun!
- 3/4 cup dry lentils
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
- 3/4 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup broth or water for thinning (optional)
- Cook lentils in broth or water according to package directions.
- In a large pan (with a little oil), saute garlic, onion, peppers, sweet potato and mushrooms over medium high heat until sweet potatoes reach desired tenderness.
- Add cooked lentils, tomato sauce, spices and sugar and heat through.
- Add water or broth if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust spices as needed.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti squash or on a bun!
If you want this to cook even faster, toss your sweet potatoes in a little oil, put them in a bowl and microwave 2-3 minutes so they won’t take as long to cook in the pan!
Like I mentioned above, you could use ground meat…just throw a pound in with the veggies and cook thoroughly.
These Lentil Sloppy Joes are a healthy vegetarian recipe that's perfect for lunch or dinner.Click To Tweet
Did you eat sloppy joes growing up? Were you a fan or not?